Challenge #551 (01/03/14) Entries CLOSED

Theme #551 for January 03 2014 is: Default

Entry closes at 2100 GMT -5 or 8pm CST, Monday January 06 2014.

Hmmmm had a funny idea. Maybe I should do a render of the default Blender UI. I literally mean, make each icon, each piece of text from scratch and render it in BI. It would be entirely pointless and that’s where the humor would be.

This will be an interesting week xD
It reminds me of a blender tutorial i saw once. The guy had an intro that slowly zoomed in on the default cube with the monologue from transformers with optimus prime’s voice saying like “The cube! … we know not where it comes from… However it has the power to create worlds!” i don’t remember it all off the top of my head d:

But it was pretty funny.

i think i may have an idea of what to make d:

Whew, managed to get my computer working once again :slight_smile:

When I first saw the theme I immediately thought of four different ways I could have used the default cube in an image, but decided to take a different route and make a play on the word itself.

edit: All blender. The words are geometry using the text function. render in BI with freestyle on.

Attachments

My entry called “Default cubes … default cubes everywhere”

I guess default cube was sort of a first thing for everyone here to think of on a first thought. These are actually default cubes, except they are given materials with random properties.

lol Ryeath you have my vote so far. Nice play on words.

ok when I was thinking about this theme I couldn’t really come up with anything at first then I came up with the idea of making the default blender logo out of default blender cubes and on each face of the cube is an image if a default blender UI icon.

All done in blender and the texturing was done in Photoshop

[ATTACH=CONFIG]280787[/ATTACH]
Entry name “Default logo”
ok I my render is if the default blender logo made up of default cubes and each cube has a picture of a default blender user interface icon on it.

how do I post an entry

Here my entry : default.blend
I tried with something more on the abstract way: got the default file, opened it with notepad and copied some text: also the background displacement map come partially from that text.

I thought of an planet where a highly advanced species lived on. And the only remaining piece is the mysterious “Ancient Default Cube”.

The picture is made of a foreground rendering, an background render (made with the help of an very good tutorial) and post production in photoshop cs2 (clouds, colortweaking, merging the two rendering).

Hope you like it.

Very cool background silver wings ! Can you share that tutorial with us ?

Simply reply to this post and insert your image in that reply.

Sure. Here it is. Seems rather new. And its very good explaint in my opinion.

Good night guys!

great entries, the “Tron Cube” from Silver Wings is awesome!!! here is my non-competing entry:

A greeting!

You’ve never done this…

Haha Malicious fiber i do that every single time i use blender xD

There’s some great entries this week (:

It’s not really even worth me posting what i came up with… I really wanted to do a default cube thing too. Maybe i could have gone a route like Charlieamer and finally make that animation i’ve always wanted to do, (which was basically copy one someone else did in the Blender siggraph 2012 video cause it looked so incredible) where they had a building with chairs and tables just quickly become flooded with colored default cubes. I highly recommend looking at that video xD

It was either that or make some sort of machine with robots making the cubes.

What i ended up trying in the end was a crashing helicopter while thinking of an old FreddieW video where he is in an attack chopper and his friend brandon asks him to switch from the driver to the gunner for a bit to give it a try. and When he does he immediately crashes the helicopter because one of them had been using Inverted controls rather than the default setup d:

Anyway i tried to make the crashing helicopter, learn a bit about motion blur, and i wanted to try and make it all look like paper like some other people do.
In the end it came out just awful… And i failed on the motion blur too…

Lookin forward to next week though (:
Voting this week will be tough xD

… and additionally I believe you need to have a post count of more than 10 to insert the attachment. Easy to do though, go comment some thoughts on some finished projects or works in progress.

Here is my non-competing entry:

Guitar (Through the Clean Channel)

RobertT