Dorgok - the Human Deer

Thread cover:

Hello there!

Here I am again, starting a new project. This time, after seeing lord of the rings and the hobbit and all I am super motivated.
Because of that, Ill start one of the biggest project of mine and hopefully at the end, my best art work of all! Thats why I want to start and new thread here, even though itll take some of my time to upload frequently, Ill need this to keep me motivated along the proccess.

Story of the character:
"Dorgok (deer name) - Darwin (prince name)

One upon a time, there were two kingdoms united: yin and yang, Humans and Antlers. (the deer)
For centuries, The antlers and the humans were fighting side by side to conquer other kingdoms. But one day, the humans betrayed the Antlers and replaced them with horses because the horses were not questioning humans authority.
And the Antlers retreated into the woods with a hidden hatred for the humans, angry for revenge, and still they had no leader to follow until now.

Darwin is the prince who is going to become the king of the Human kingdom. His father though, is angry at him because he is not worthy and he is not responsible enough to be the next king on throne. When Darwin heard that, because of his pride, he ran away from the kingdom into the woods declaring:
“If you dont let me be the king of this land, Ill find my own land”. (Despite his pride and lack of responsibility, he has blind courage and a good heart and he is a good person overall)

So he went into the woods and walked for weeks with very little food. What humans did not know is that the Antlers placed a spell on to the forest which will make any human who stays long enough into the woods transform into a deer. Because of his regal blood though, the spell was not powerful enough so he only transformed half way through.

Ten years has passed. The humans thought he is dead and he was too afraid to show up looking they way he was. He slowly started to build trust to the Antlers by helping them with human knowledge and dexterity. He even started to gain more and more respect and deer started following him.

So in the end, he became the Leader of the Antlers. The KING of the Antler, the forest kingdom. The defenders of the FOREST KINGDOM.
And they are still seeking for revenge in a war which is to come."
~written and designed by Alin Bolcas & TJ. protected by copyright.

All beeing said - Let`s get started!
As always, any other suggestions or thoughts are welcome. :slight_smile:

More sketches! I focused more on the real animal this time because…I found out that Im not too good at your drawing deers or elks. :) Next post will be a 3d sketch sculpt. Ill try to do as many variations as possible and at the end pick the best one.

If only I could draw like that. Anyways, this should look interesting when it’s done.

Looks like you’re definitely starting out on the right foot by sketching. I’ll definitely keep an eye on this to see how it progresses.

I’ll be sure to watch this. It will be interesting, and very likely awesome.

Hey! Thank you all for following this. :slight_smile:

I did some speed sculpting. Just to get a better understanding of the animal. Perhaps it`ll be a good base to try concepts on. :slight_smile:
This is a one hour and a half sculpt:

Your really quick … did you start with a cube or did you roughly model out the head with extrude ?
Im sure this will look excellent when its done … keep it up :slight_smile:

Your really quick … did you start with a cube or did you roughly model out the head with extrude ?
Im sure this will look excellent when its done … keep it up

Well yea… some other people said Im fast too. :) Thanks for appreciation. I do my sculpting in zbrush, Ill only jump into blender when Ill work on rendering, shading, particles (Im thinking on trying the zbrush fibermesh on this project though…). So yea… I just start with anything and I keep moving it around and dynamesh it. It works almost like dynatopo but I need to press a button in order to regenerate my new geometry the difference though is that it`s all quads.

Did some more sculpting. Here are some versions. Im trying to shorten his nose a bit but he looks weird if I do that.. Im not sure how to make him more human like. I did rotate the eyes which worked well. :slight_smile:

I like the version 3 so far but still… he is not human-ish enough. :slight_smile:

interesting idea, i will be watching… # 4 looks closest to human, but would need push more…# 3 i like from design most.

Great progress so far, AlinB! I’m sure finding a balance between deer and human is difficult. I admire your quick sculpting ability, these conceptual sketches are great!

This is probably not even remotely close to what you’re thinking of, but this human/deer combo reminded me of the “Mighty Antlers” short film: http://vimeo.com/18008261
At the very least, maybe you’ll find it interesting!

Thank you doris, Ill keep number 3 even though is not looking that much like a human. He looks more warrior-ish - thats why I picked him.
I`ll now start from a human base mesh and try to get to something that looks like a deer - see how it goes.

James: I enjoyed the shortfilm. Very expressive story telling. :slight_smile: As far as their character goes, they just wanted him to represent a deer and not necessarily to be a deer-human creature - so they added some horns to a skinny guy. It`s quite interesting why they picked a skinny guy actually. They could of picked a more muscled guy with a big breast like deer have. Instead they picked a skinny person in order to show his fragility and also to make him light and agile and to point out the difference between the lazy fat arrogant and stupid humans and animals.
Very interesting short. Thanks for sharing.

woah, awesome sculpts! those would make for some really cool 3d prints

2 and 3 look best imo… if you’re going for a more human look, I think human lips would really help

Mayeb you should first sculpt a human head, and then add the deer antlears, deer ears and etc?

This looks like a really cool project and I like how you’re executing it, good job!! My favorite out of the versions above is number 2, it feels more fantasy-based and human-like than the others. This reminds me a bit of the werewolf sculpting tutorial BlenderCookie put out a long time ago and you might find it helpful, but it looks like you’ve got sculpting pretty well covered

Hey guys, thanks for the tips! I`m glad you like the work so far. :slight_smile:

@Andres: Thanks! I know the BC tutorial. I was thinking on checking it again to see if I can find something helpful. Now that you mentioned it, I made up my mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

@TheNewGuy: I said I`m going to do that 2 comment above yours. lol xD
And I did started.
Funny looking human with horns and deer ears. hehe

I think #2 is the most human-like, but I’m not sure about it overall. I think my favorite is 4, it feels the most expressive. IMO the bridge of the nose on #3 is too big. Maybe give 4 a bit more of the eyebrow height that 2/3 have though?

Thanks for the feedback.
I did started new from a human base this time. I got some interesting results along the way so I made a gif. I like most the look of the intermediate stages of the sculpt thats why Ill try to mix the layers to achieve the best result.

Ill also want to add the other sculpts as layers and to mix the two but I dont know how. Could someone help me with that?

Here is the how I ended up this time. He pretty much looks like a monkey-bull with a short nose. :expressionless: :frowning:

And here is the gif (take a more close look to the middle stages)

Ok so I was not happy with the last monkey-bull sculpt to I tried to make him more like a deer this time moving some thing around and mixing the layers.

Here are 3 versions. I like 3 and 1. 3 is more like a strong, fat dizzy type of look. 2 is a bear with horns. 1 is most like the one I`m looking for - A brave fighter but elegant at the same time.

I couldn`t help myself not to work more on the first version - and I think I am very close to the final. I still think he looks a bit like a cow. :frowning: (also added elk horns)

maybe pulling the ears back so they aren’t facing forward will help with the cow look?

Heh. You are right. It worked! Thanks mate! :slight_smile: