[WIP] Re-creation of Ralph McQuarrie's "TIE fighter vs X-Wing fighter"

------Original post------
So a while ago Rocz3d posted his “Fury-class Imperial Interceptor” (which is awesome, check it out) and it put me thinking that it’s weird that I, a former hard(ish)core Star Wars fanboy haven’t created yet any complete 3d art of that subject or even of sci-fi in general.

And so I started thinking what should I create.

When I was kid, one of the first things I ever learned to have a something to do with the word “Star Wars” was the spaceships on Ralph McQuarries picture X-Wing vs TIE Fighters on one page of my comic book. At that time all I knew about Star Wars was that it was something cool and had explosions and spacecrafts. But after I had seen that so-awesome picture, I immediately started wanting to know deeper what exactly was “the war of the stars”.

So now I started to recreate the image I first saw many many years ago on my comic book because nothing represents Star Wars more to me than a couple of TIE and X-wing fighters fighting each other.

I also noticed that Mr. McQuarrie had passed away on March 2012 so I’m also making this project as a tribute to him.

PS. This is my first WIP thread ever so if I’m doing something wrong just note me about it. Also how often am I supposed to add more images of my progression?

Attachments

I started with the TIE fighters and here’s my progression so far:

In the upcoming posts I will not prolly render out the fins because they take kind of lots of time to render

Can the fins not be just a nor map?

No. If I’d do that, I might aswell bake normal maps for every piece on this model and doing low-poly game assets wasn’t my idea on this project. Also these are just WIP images so every bit of detail isn’t important on every single image, is it?

Post as often as you have time for. Have fun and learn. Those are the only rules. I have spoken! :stuck_out_tongue:

Insane detail on the TIE–Love it! The rectangle vents around the wing hub are a little crooked. I can see one side of them sticking up a bit.

Looking forward to seeing more. And thanks for the kind words about the Fury model!

I love McQuarrie’s work (Joe Johnston, too.) Boxed away somewhere, I have a 1979 copy of the book The Art of Star Wars. It’s full of their conceptual art.
Nice job of modeling.

Steve S

Yes McQuarrie’s designs are so clean and evocative, a completely different feel to the movie models.

Very nice start, more pictures please :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s some moar progress from different angle:

And I gotta ask, do the hexagonal bolts fit in into the whole starwars theme? I mean would the empire have designed the fighters so that you cannot see any bolts lying around?

Rocz3d: I’m not sure if I understood but I fixed something that was bothering me. Is that wat you ment?
Steve S: Cool , I’d like to have that book also :eyebrowlift: Thanks!
SumoLondo: Well here you go :smiley:

Here’s the bit I mentioned about the vents being a little out of alignment:

Happy new year 2014! :wink:

Been working on the hull and also made a quick sort-of studio lighting
Now I’m starting to create the big engine on the back:

Rocz3d: Thanks for pointing it out, fixed it :slight_smile:

PS: How do I change the thumbnail for this thread to the “current state” pic?

Attachments

Haha hexagon bolts! I wonder if the Empire used proprietary fittings like Apple does, to stop the Rebels hacking their hardware? Great looking renders btw.

Sadly, I’ve suffered from lack of motivation lately so progress has been slow… :frowning: but I got it back while listening some awesome soundtracks from utube couple days ago:p . Got tired working with the TIE so started creating the Xwing. I’m not really happy with the topology of the hull, does it show? (I might redo it anyway). More pics coming when I get stuff ready :slight_smile:
(click da image for large res)

This is looking really good. Love a good Star Wars thread I do :smiley: Keep going with this project, to quite Vader “perhaps I can find new ways of motivating you” :wink:

The McQuarrie xwing looks more streamlined. More of a tube with simple planes for wings. The traditional Lucas version that you’ve created looks a bit more bulbous. Great reults though I really hope that you can get through it.

peter: Haha,lol I hope you do :smiley:

3pointedit: I do respect McQuarrie a lot but to be honest, I don’t really like his x-wing model. Also I couldn’t find any good high detail references for it. Thanks anyways :slight_smile:

So I basically re-modeled the hull. The crevases may look a little deep but that may be because this is direct light.

Now I’m starting to get the feel I’m getting somewhere with this project :slight_smile:

Wow. I’m amazed by the level of detail on that Tie fighter fin!

To change the pic in the original photo, edit the post -> go advanced -> manage attachments and you’ll get a window showing all your uploaded images. Just remove the image in the bottom “attachments” section and replace it with your latest image (drag and drop). The forum thumbnail will change to reflect whatever is in the first post.

Hello! So as you can see, I started making the cockpit and played around with camera angles. I rendered this out in the resolution im planning going on with final.

that’s so that you could spot any errors/bad modelling/something I still have to work on with. I’m probably going to add some detail here and there but I’m feeling pretty finished with the modelling stage overall(not cockpit). If there’s something specific or general you’d like to comment/advice/point out/criticize etc, as always any feedback is warmly welcomed :slight_smile:

edit: looks like blenderartists downscales the image so here is a link for the full 4k version in 2,4:1 proportions: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/70186

1 Like

Looking really nice. Modelling looks solid to me :slight_smile: