A Road to Infinity

Hey there,

This is my latest work. I tried to do some more arch stuff this time. Pretty easy scene though… It is inspired from a Memorial from Germany as far as I know.
Hope you like it!
Comments & critiques are welcome. :slight_smile: (I`m sorry about the texture stretches on the side walls)

Awesome work as usual… There is a kind of dynamic effect and I love it.

Atmosphere!!! I Like! 5!

A very good atmosphere, I really like it.

I think you mean the Holocaust memorial in Berlin?

Yes, that`s what I meant. :slight_smile:

Glad you like it guys!

I really like the lighting! It’s a simple scene, but it works. My only critique (besides the texture stretching) would be that there should be something like a trim or base where the pillars meet the ground. Sharp corners without much transition is a dead giveaway that a scene is fake. Keep up the good work, it’s cool to see people improve over time!

awesome!!!

After seeing thumb I instantly connected it to Berlin jew memorial. What comes to your work render looks pretty good, but theres some things that bug me. For example uvs of the stones are stretched from sides and pathway brick texture looks too disturbing / zappy at focus area. Think you have too strong displacement / normal.

Overall nice job!

Atmosphere = 5
Composition = 4
Render = 3

I say this because, as it stands there isn’t much interaction between say, the walls and the ground. Maybe adding some dirt at the bottom with a nice displacement map (Even if it’s subtle) to break up the flat surfaces. Also, it’s an idea, but you could try IvyGen and create a Harry Potter styled maze look likened to something of this nature:

Adding a character silhouette in the distance would also add to the ‘Eternal’ effect.
I love how the path isn’t flat and levels off in the horizon at a few places, really well done though!

jop thats in berlin… i was there and i must say your version is verry good :slight_smile: i saw that pic and thougt ‘i did know that’
i like your work

Excellent. Reminds me of the Labyrinth movie.

Great image Alin!
Kind of a Salvador Dalí surreal feeling to it.

Cheers

Love the lighting in this. Awesome!

Hey guy,
I appreciate your critiques, thank you!
I actually tried to make that gap in the floor by sculpting it in order to remove the nasty sharp line where the walls meet the ground but it`s not the obvious. I should of tried to make a stencil and add another texture there.

Here two other versions with less contrast and straight ground.

Stay with the camera centered and aimed at the portal, I think it is best for the “eternity” effect.
Also @Netroxen suggestion is really good, a little character far away gives it a nice feeling and adds a lot to the infinity effect.

Really fantastic render. I think If you want the viewer to feel it’s his/her road to infinity you should keep the camera centered and If you don’t want to involve the viewers you can keep the camera to one side as in your second image and maybe add a character… but that’s purely your choice.

i like the zig-zagging grout lines - that’s pretty cool

Making tiles less disturbing made wonders for your render, now its aestically so much more better for eye :slight_smile:

That`s right, jjjuho, I was also thinking about that. Still, I tried to add that small imperfection to the scene but apparently I went overboard.

I do agree that imperfection can be a powerful artistic tool, and that’s why I’m not full bore on removing the imperfect grout lines altogether.

I like the overall theme of the image, really does seem like something out of a fantasy novel, perhaps what you could’ve done with the grout lines is make the amount of meandering the same as it looks just in front of the camera (which was nice and subtle).