Problem: Stencil Texture Painting with hidden faces

I need someone to confirm that this is a problem and I’m not just doing something wrong:
I have a mesh that I have UV mapped.
I am attempting to apply a stencil to sections of the mesh that are behind others, so I want to hide the front faces.

In Texture Paint mode, I have turned on hidden faces (Icon in the toolbar between the display method and the layers)
Before setting up the stencil brush, I (Right Click) select one of the faces I want to hide. Then press “L” to select linked.
Then I press “H” to hide the selected faces.

So far so good.

Now I bring in the stencil and try to apply it to the still showing faces. No go.
The stencil does not transfer. If I turn off the hidden faces icon, the stencil applied OK.:frowning:

Have I missed a setting somewhere, or should I report this as a bug?

Other information: The mesh is rigged and has vertex groups, but I have tested this with a mesh without with the same result.

Blender Stable 2.69.

That’s not a “hidden faces” feature. It is Face Masking. You can only paint on selected faces when that is toggled on (or hide them as you did). For some reason selecting faces is not possible while using a stencil mask. So either turn Face Masking off to paint with stencil or temporarily switch to a mask mapping mode other than stencil so you can select some faces to paint with stencil mask.*

Not being able to select faces while in stencil mode I would consider a bug since stencil placement, zoom, and rotation involve more than just right-click. Maybe the nature of the tool prevents selecting I don’t know. Others here are much more experienced with this area of Blender maybe they know. If no good reason then it should be reported as a bug.

*Edit: I just figured out that Circle and Box selection of faces to paint on does work while in stencil mode. Only right-click selection of individual faces does not.

-LP

So I need to make an extra step of selecting the faces I want to stencil on to? I’ll give that a try and let you know how I go.
Either way, thanks and Merry Christmas.

You can take advantage of deciding what areas you want to mask and set them as vert groups, so that way you can quickly select and area before entering texture paint mode

Nice, and worked perfectly. Thanks again.