Challenge #548 Voting CLOSED

This week’s theme: Soviet Technology

Pure Entries

Ryeath
Ilizarov Apparatus
/uploads/default/original/4X/9/e/9/9e9e38b87e7f0d5edf604e747974bd780fc8b8b5.jpgd=1387081156&thumb=1

Amcolex
Sputnik over Earth
/uploads/default/original/4X/3/5/7/3578bb69e757b844a4c1022148036dc9902702b3.jpgd=1387084485&thumb=1

Kidus
Soyuz Spacecraft
/uploads/default/original/4X/0/5/8/05883ed9dc4bbd01ffe44b6fe342e2d4f4799502.jpgd=1387138589&thumb=1

Martin Schurig
AK 47
/uploads/default/original/4X/0/2/1/02157a859ab2ce240a4c0587aa1c45cccac70caa.jpgd=1387145222&thumb=1

SonnySee
Illumination
/uploads/default/original/4X/8/a/6/8a6879670a6cc66286c85cc6e9f4aa6200f7c808.jpgd=1387152177&thumb=1

mik1190
Mi-24
/uploads/default/original/4X/9/f/2/9f23e3cd9d90e4413febccf9a6aee27782a84c18.jpgd=1387216902&thumb=1

Open Entries

Non-Competing Entries

RobertT
The Space Age
http://www.artofinterpretation.com/images2/wc548-the-space-age-byrjt2013.jpg

emu
/uploads/default/original/4X/2/9/b/29bf3ce4e35adbdcb4a9c7e380c6f26a8e8f4fca.jpgd=1387149913&thumb=1

@ Voters: Testing links I couldn’t help but notice the large thumbs don’t do some of this weeks entries justice (i.e. view full size versions).

Well, I have to say, am very impressed with all of the entries. Even emu’s large tomato. :slight_smile:

The following is strictly my opinion as someone who likes looking at artwork and enjoys having fun with Blender. I am just a hobbyist and by no means a professional artist,

Ryeath, I really liked the composition of your image with the multiple views of the model. It almost looks like a brochure for the product. Well done.

Amcolex, I love the way Sputnik not only reflects Earth below, but has the glare from the sun as well. Very nice render and composition.

Kidus, So much detail. You really captured the look and feel of the actual spacecraft.

Martin, after clicking on your image to get the higher resolution version, the weapon has very clean lines. Nice hard surface modeling skills there. You should texture it out all the way, it would look great.

mik1190, I can see why that image would use up all of your ram! The Helicopter along with all of it’s surrounding environment really creates a sense of motion and urgency in a still image. Excellent work.

RobertT, my favorite image of the week hands down. I love the color scheme and the render style you chose. It really gives it a retro feel and harkens back to the dawn of the space race! I could see this image up as propoganda poster in Soviet Russia during that time. kudos to you sir.

Emu, I think your tomato is fantastic. And, I love the peeling paint.

All of you that participate inspire me to become a better artist.

Already looking forward to the next challenge. Can’t wait to see what the theme is. I have learned more participating in these challenges the last couple of months than I learned in the previous year watching tutorials on the internet.

Good night!

Great works! RobertT is another chapter, beautiful style and colors!

Well, first not, ha ha, second, I don´t know, I don´t care too much about the voting, but I like to see my works here beside the others, just it´s somekind of reward for Me, I´m not sure maybe I upload the mine seconds later after the deadline, but when I was posting my entry the post said “entries open” and I don´t see my post. Anyway, I’m pretty sure that I came to the deadline, now that I think, maybe was my internet connection, sometimes goes so slowly. Anyway, whatever was the reason, here is my non-competing entry

Well as last, if this is not the place for this, please edit it or let me know and I will delete it, I have no problem.

A greeting!

@mik1190: Great composition, the reflections on the front side on the chopper work well. The blur helps to sell the movement, all around just a great piece.

@RobertT: Great color… Great everything, really inspiring Robert… If it is not to much trouble I would love to see your process.

I only have one vote to cast … but if it had been my option, I would have cast three (or more). Several outstanding artists took entirely-different interpretations of this somewhat enigmatic premise, and did remarkable things with it. To me, this weeks’ is an outstanding competition with many simultaneous winners.

I’ve got a joke for the occasion:
In the course of the USA and Russia’s exploits in space they learned a sad fact; pens did not work in zero grav. In order to fix this disastrous problem and assist their astronauts the United States spent $5.0 million on designing and manufacturing a special pen that would work in space as normal pens do on earth, perfecting a mechanism that would push ink out of the end of the pen with just the right speed and in just the right amount.
Russia spent $0.05 on a pencil.

MrKrabju, that’s awesome. Too bad about the timing.

@ DRoss: thank you! The reflections come from a hdr + sun lamp; there was also a point light near the helicopter to lighten it more than the background…

SonnySee: Thank you, and I’m glad the retro look I was hoping to achieve seemed to work.

MrKrabju: Thank you! I’m always excited to see how far I can push aspects, such as color, in a project.

DRoss: Thanks! Please see my screenshot below.

http://www.artofinterpretation.com/miscfiles2/wc548-byrjt2013-screenshot.png

link to full resolution image

Some explanations…

The giant fragmented half-sphere is for reflecting the colors of the sun and planet on to the space probe.

I use both Blender’s regular toon edge and stars.

The stars are blurred out by the Defocus node.

The diagonal blur comes from the Directional Blur node, after which I use Mix and Dodge nodes to phase in and accentuate the effect.

I also apply (Multiply) a procedural cloud texture to the overall image for a touch of noise.

Overall, the project took about ten hours (spread over the weekend) to perfect.

It was a fairly simple modeling project, but, on the render/render node side of things I wanted to push the NPR-render style for this further. And so I spent a bit of time repositioning lights, composition, etc., in conjunction with numerous node tweaks.

Often simple projects such as this one remind me just how much unexhausted creative potential Blender Internal’s render and render node system have.

RobertT

@RobertT: Well I have to say, I am extremely impressed. It’s nice to see some “outside the box” pieces. Did you learn the technique you used from a tutorial, or was it a trial and error sort of thing?

arg! nodes anxiety! :spin:

Thanks, DRoss.

I’ve been using Blender steadily since 2003, and along the way it has been a mixture of learning, curiosity, chance-taking, and refining, with more than a few failures in between :slight_smile:

While I do try to draw upon knowedge gained from previous projects, I also enjoy moments of discovery and surprise while exploring various possibilities in Blender.

That tends to keep things fun and dynamic!

RobertT

The winner is Ryeath with 13 votes!

Ryeath 13 | 31.71%
Amcolex 9 | 21.95%
Kidus 4 | 9.76%
Martin Schurig 1 | 2.44%
SonnySee 3 | 7.32%
mik1190 11 | 26.83%

Nice entries this week.

My personal vote went to mik1190. I think it was the best picture this week.

PM sent to Quandtum

congratulations ryeath. your submission had more spirit.

Ryeath : thank you and congrats! My vote went to you as in my opinion you had the most original idea for the theme.
RobertT: wow, nice to see the “behind” of that image :slight_smile: