How to get a good quality image sequence result in blender

How can I get a good quality image sequence render in blender? At the moment the only way I can see is to have the movie file in the same codec as the images that I used to make the image sequence with (e.g. .mov in a PNG codec for an image sequence of png), but seeing as I want to use PNG because of superior quality to JPEG and the others it means that any file that I want to make will be quite big.
Is there a way to get round this?

The quality is fine in the video editor it’s just when I render it; the end result isn’t what I want.

Thanks

High quality jpegs will be better than most compressed vidwo codecs but not ss good as uncompressed png. Yoy cant have it both ways.
I guess it depends on what you need to do with it. Keying and color effects are better with png. Also you want to have blender performing less computation just to display the image stream.

@RoryJMcEwan If I understand you correctly it’s a problem I just ran into. And, one I never had before I might add. I just put a sequence of outstanding PNGs into the VSE along with a already H.264 rendered clip and mixed with music.

I then made a H.264 - MPEG4 clip which looked fine in the VSE when previewing. Man the PNG segment in the final product sucked. Something had happened to the color saturation big time. So I tried other codec combinations but nothing changed. I’m going to download a older version of Blender since this is a recent development. And, I can’t possibly live with these results for a Xmas project.

@RoryJMcEwan A update to my recent post since this is something I can’t live with. I downloaded Blender 2.64 since I know the problem didn’t exist then. However, with two other versions of Blender on the desktop maybe it picked up a unwanted preset for all I know. What I do know is the problem is still there even using 2.64. Loss of contrast and color saturation big time.

This time I only put the PNG image sequence in the Video Editor with no music or transitions. And tried every possible codec combination once again with the same damn results. Color washed out and contrast gone.

I’m using Windows 7 64 bit and have the latest Nvidia update but since the image renders fine to a still and looks great while in the Video Editors preview I doubt if this is of any significance. Since I have a Xmas project in the works I sure could use some help big time.

Maybe a color management issue? Properties > Scene > Color Management > Display Device and Sequencer Color Space. Default on both is sRGB. If set to none what you will see in Blender is dark and saturated compared to the output you’ll get I think.

Is this same issue as theoldghost? You didn’t give much info to go on.

Sorry if no help. A bump if nothing else.

-LP

So what did you use to view your encoded movie output, could that be the issue for washed out desaturated appearance?

Maybe a color management issue? Properties > Scene > Color Management > Display Device and Sequencer Color Space. Default on both is sRGB. If set to none what you will see in Blender is dark and saturated compared to the output you’ll get I think.

I had the same problem and this fixed it. Thanks LarryPhillips!