Guerilla Render v1 Released - Get one free commercial license

http://www.guerillarender.com/

Combined Reyes rendering and unbiased path tracing
Guerilla Render is intended to strike a balance between realism of output and set-up time, including both a Reyes renderer and an unbiased path tracer. Lights and shaders are assigned via a nodal render graph.

–> Feature list <–

IMO this looks like a great render engine, I’ve been keeping my eyes on it for years now and they finally released it. It works on both Linux and Windows (x64 only). The downside is that it currently requires Maya to export to the render engine. I know that quite a few of the members here are Maya users though.

I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing render engine companies going under or getting bought out (other than just Refractive software)?

Because there’s so many options nowadays (many with small to moderately sized communities), that the market is bound to reach the point of saturation sooner or later.

Just downloaded it and played around for 30 minutes or so. Wow… that interface is a nightmare… I really hope they expand their integration with other packages in the future, because that standalone isn’t going to do them any favors.

They have alembic, which is pretty much an standard these days, but Blender doesn’t provide Alembic format yet, Thomas said that they will add these sometime during the next months.

Any info on support for other 3D apps besides Maya?

EDIT: Oh, it has Alembic support. Good, good.

Guerilla is a powerfull software and his interface is really cool ! 30 minutes is ridiculous to say it’s bad !

I’m working with guerilla since 2009 or 2008, I d’ont remember.
It’s a software for big movies like dreed, total recall…

You can work with obj in reference and it’s works very well.

I made a video to show how work with blender and OBJs

And a podcast video with the original dev of Guerilla.

On Blender, we have a lot of choise, but none as good and complete as guerilla.
You can do everything you want and his rendergraph is really powerfull.

It’s for big productions, so for blender addicts it may not be interessting, but for littles, mid and big companies, it’s really interresting !

We really need alembic to work with Guerilla, I hope it’s comming as soon as possible !

I am trying to play with it a little bit, looks interesting but still I did not get a full grasp of the interface. Also looks like there is not much documentation so far. It is a pity the podcast is in French… mine is not so good to be able to follow, but looks like there is a lot to pick.

I go on playing :slight_smile:

Hi pitiwazou, since you seem to have a familiarity with the interface, can you point us to any tutorials or instructive resources about how to use it better?

it comes with the documentation,
if you drag and drop an obj from blender, into the gorilla viewport it will be really tiny in the viewport…
probably need to export at 100X or something. :confused:

Ok, it seems I need to go and defend my new predilection renderer. :slight_smile:

Guerilla is the kind of renderer born with sweat of productions. It actually exists since many years (five if I remember well) but has only go public this month.

How could we summary what Guerilla is? Mmmh…

For me, it’s a “turnkey Katana + Arnold combo”.

For those who don’t know Katana, it’s a non destructive lighting workflow (IMHO, non destructive workflow is the futur of lighting but that’s another debate).

From the rendering side, it’s a production CPU path tracer.

So, why Guerilla rocks (yeah, I can’t be more objective…).

I had the oportunity to work on the integration of Katana for a studio. I was very happy because Katana has a very good architecture and provide a way to do what I actually spend month to integrate in a single software.

This is the market part as after few month I must admit it’s a nighmare. Katana is a “core” something almost empty and you need a lot of developpers to make something interesting with it. I was a little disapointed as the promise was good.

Then I discovered Guerilla. The lighting supervisor here at Digital District make me huge training on it and I’ve also been able to discuss with devs about how it work under the hood and… Yeah… It’s how lighting should be in 2013:

You get a scene structure as an enter of your graph and you apply modification with nodes without change anything in the “input”.

So you can light recurscively. like:

• Every object has standard shader.
  • Every object with “wood” tag have my wood parameters.
  • Every shaders with “metal” tag have my metal parameters.
  • Then you set “diffuse” parameter of the shader will have this map, “reflection” will have this map (or value).
  • etc…
  • And after you start to tweak, group by group, object by object to have the look you want.

You want to modify every metalic parts of your scene? No problem, just go up in you graph and modify. You can duplicate your node to avoid break something.

I’ve seen this workflow in many “middle to big” studios but it was always in-house software and Katana is expensive and unuseable without a lot of dev.

Guerilla is the only one to provide this workflow without need any line of script.

If you have often to deal with huge assets with a lot of objects, you should defenetly have a look to guerilla.

If you are interested about what I’was talking about (about non destructive workflows) I write a mail on the Appleseed (a very good open source renderer) mailing list to discuss about “what I consider to be a modern lighting workflow”: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/appleseed-dev/Few$20Feedbacks/appleseed-dev/bENTdNVosD0/dhw5JATX9qEJ

:slight_smile:

PS: I’m not an active BlenderArtist member, I know it can be strange to have peoples just booming about a subject. I’m actually very humble and hope my comment will be informative because Guerilla is not what we could call “an usual renderer”.

PS2: I need to find time to purpose videos to explain how to “efficiently” use this renderer (actually, if you only use rendergraph, you use it efficiently).

Guerilla Renderer is absolut Amazing and the User Interface is really Cool!!!(I agree with Pitiwazou.)
I hope for Alembic support in Blender soon! or a Add On for Blender-Exporter!
Fascinating how fast you can work with this renderer and the speed is realy fast and productive!
When someone opens Blender 3D for the first time he lost and after 30 minutes he closed the programm or Uninstall it the same hapens in Guerilla!
You have to learn -documentations-video tutorials…etc step by step and Read in ths Forums…
So i learn something :when i open a Programm and i canot use it…this means this programm is really COOL and POWERFULL!

Well I open blender in the past and have the same idea… What a F__k Oo ^^ But with a little work and a lot of blender user help now I worked totally on it.
So keep it man ! The forum of guerilla is here for it.
You’re right the documentation is a little heavy for new users, so I would try to make a English tutorial for the interface.

Guerilla tutorial on the V1.

Interface Guerilla

Old tutorials

My old tutorials

Some of my pictures with Guerilla

thanks for the link pitiwazou!

It is really cool that you can import an obj the first time, and then change the geometry of it in another program, reimport it and mantain all of the guerrilla project settings!

ABout the interface I think it is really hard to have one that works for you from the first impact and this is no different. So I think we just need to understand how it works before stating any judgment.

You work in reference, so you don’t have to import your obj after modifying it in Blender.
You just need to open the Guerilla scene and it will be in the scene.

Guerilla is really simple to use, you can add a sky or an environment with HDRI map or a single square light.
You have monotithic shader who can use to make glass, SSS, blinn etc.
It’s a full raytrace and it’s really simple to use it, just change the samples et it’s better.
You have a progressive rendering to work your render, it’s easy and fast.

Yes, it is exactly what I was saying! And it is really cool. With Octane for example, before the plugin for blender was available this was not possible (at least not that I remember). Now even without alembic it is not so painful to work on a scene created in blender and eventually change it later without having to set again all of the materials and lights in guerrilla.

Hi, ty for the links

any tutorials or instructive resources about how to use hair Blender < - > Guerilla ?

Ty in advance :smiley:

You just need to export your objs carlosan, after, the entire work is in Guerilla.

Blender hair <----> guerilla is not so easy without a alembic link… I’ve made some test to export curve to maya and then export to guerilla.

The Interface !

It’s in french, but you can understand :wink:

Make a simple scene.

Shaders

Dof

Fur