Cant fix the flixering vertices in flag banner

Hi there,

i was trying to make this shark flag banner and i have done this before on a simple rectangular flag. I have pinned the left side of the flag and gave some vertices less weight on them so they would move just a bit. Somehow i cant get the flag to move properly. The first mesh was imported from sketchup but this had all weird tris and quads used together. So i started from scratch with a simple plane and which i subdivided a 2/3 times. i set the basic shape and added a subsurf mod which a applied later.

Problem is that the top and bottom have more edge loops than the mid section, im thinking this is causing the problem. But im not that familiar with blender. In the top i think there’s a problem with 1 or 2 edge loops.

Ive added the file and some screen grabs so you can see better

Attachments

Shark Banner_v2.blend (627 KB)

I didn’t see your blend, and just copied your ref image. I have found flags to do better with much less and squarer geometry. This is a low poly version of your flag (screenshot below video). The default cloth sim, pinned, with wind is pretty convincing for a shark flag. Of course you can subdivide, or add a subsurf if you want more movement or weighting.

The topology I went with.

sharkbanner.blend (996 KB)

Starting from your blend

Apply decimate modifier ( un-subdivide, 2 iterations) to reduce geometry

Added edge loops to tighten lower corner

“Cotton” preset

Disable cloth-collision

Bake

Add subsurf mod to smooth

Attachments

Shark Banner_v2a.blend (578 KB)

Thanks for tips guys!!! i really appreciate it. I was almost there i think, i did tried it myself as well tonight and came to a pretty good solution as well. I didnt think of turning of self collision, really noticed this is a CPU killer. Also the subsur is perhaps a bit heavy, but i do like detail it produces.

Could some one help me out with the fact why it was jiggeling. My own revised version had some edge loops in the top which where different and gave a much better result. But this took me couple hours of tests and bakes :frowning: Next time im really killing that self collision or using a super low setting.

Im baking a short anim at the moment, pffffff 20 sec/fr

@Photox
How do you make those quick renders. im using cycles now but takes to long

Here’s my take… i tried my settings without the collision and its almost the same but way less baking time!!! :slight_smile:

The quick animation are opengl renders. The ‘Render’ menu at the top, ‘Opengl Render Animation’ It’s a great way to preview these kinds of sims where you really have to see it full speed to know if it feels right.

The advantage to a low poly flag is super quick bake times (seconds) the drawback of course is you don’t get many ripples. Your latest animation looks good , although it feels a bit like slow motion or half speed. Nice work.

Thanks for tip! I think cause I used a really low mass number. I’m always using the metric system and all presets are the same as with blender units. Which I new what they all mean in metric numbers.

Whats the best way to speed the animation up. Im using the metric system and F/R is 24