Little Santa Surprise - BG Christmas Competition

Hello,

This is my latest project I did for BG Christmas Competition.
It took me roughly a month, starting randomly with some inspiration on the internet. The character took me more than half of the time spent on the project so I had to rush the whole environment to finish on time.
I really enjoyed the project though.

Hope you like it!
Cheers,
Alin

Higher version

Attachments

Oh wow, really nice job on the area rug.

Thanks mate, glad you like it. :wink:

It’s just awesome !!! I have no chance for the contest :slight_smile:

Good job, looks really realistic, though dof might be a bit overkill :slight_smile:

Beautiful and with a different proposal.
Good luck on contest.

Nice work. Good ‘fur’ along the edge of the hat. And the edges of the rug are very well done. Wow.

Such a nice thing to say, and I`m sorry. :frowning:

Good job, looks really realistic, though dof might be a bit overkill

You might be right, but I wanted the background image to blend nicely with the scene. So I kinda added a bit more dof than it was needed.

Nice lighting and composition, I really like it!

Thank you Jonathan. :slight_smile:

Any critiques? I`d be glad to hear your thought.

Let me guess, you searched Google for “presents textures” or something? XD
Can’t say much for the image right now except that it is great, 'cause I have to work on my own modest scene.
Good luck!

Any critiques? I`d be glad to hear your thought.

Well I cant really critique the environment; it is pretty simple, which is good in this case, and it’s very realistic. The character is pretty uncanny, which might be what you wanted. It’s a mix of adorable and terrifying, and I can’t really tell from the material what it’s made out of. I would assume that it’s a plastic toy, but the shader looks just eerily close enough to skin to make it look half alive. I’m not really sure what exactly your going for, so I cant say which way to push it. I would say that if you have time to perfect it for the contest, spend it on making the character portray exactly what you want the viewer to feel.

You’ve already made it to the “finalists” quality stage, so now you have to push past that and make it a winner :slight_smile:

Everything is great - composition, color choice, lighting, materials…but I don’t quite get the Santa thing, it looks to be made out of wood, but I can’t quite follow the forms. I’m not sure what it’s supposed to look look like. If that exists in real life, and looks exactly like that, or it is imaginary and entirely intended to be that way then that’s all fine…but let’s just say if I saw a real one it would be the kind of thing that I would pick up only to have a confused/terrified look at it followed by a shrug and an uneasy feeling.

Where did the rug come from? I’m sure my parents have that exact rug!

Its a great concept and execution but I think Jonathan is right. The main character leaves me wondering what the heck it exactly is:) Seems like flesh but looks kinda like a mushroom with a santa hat on. Maybe some more definition to the face of the character or a different shader would help define what it is. If the full intention was to leave the viewer looking closer to figure out what the heck that is then leave it just as it is hehe:) good luck man!

Really good. may be you can have little more sharper on face details.

Hey guys, thanks for the critiques. :smiley:

You all got the point and I agree. It is hard to figure out what he is made out of. Which may be a bad thing.
But if it made you look more time at the image and wonder what is he made out of and complete a story using that, then it worked. :smiley:
It was not exactly my intention though.

Can you shed some light on what exactly he is? He seems to have some strange ear holes, but no ears, and no mouth but either a huge chin or neck. Also has no nose. :S

A nice work piece, love the mat…

What is that thing?

Well, he is a cute little Santas mystique creature with long fat neck, sharp teeth and a mustache. Kinda weird isnt it?