Face select mode not showing black face center squares, looks like edge select

Yesterday I was learning to do the image to plane thing, now today my face select mode wont show the black squares that it always has. I can still select faces normally but its difficult to tell if theres a face there or not because of my many backwards normals. I checked through the user preferences and couldn’t find a solution, and I hardly know what to google because I don’t know if they have a specific name. I’d appreciate any suggestions

Are you saying that the material for your object is black, and that you therefore can’t see the faces until you select them?

I suspect your answer is “no, that’s not what I’m saying”, but if it is, you can change “Viewport Shading” (tool-tip says “Method to Display / Shade Objects in 3D View”), which is the little selector just to the right of where it says “Edit Mode”. Selecting “Texture” or “Wireframe” might produce the effect you want. The default is “Solid”, which shows all black faces as black (or at least very nearly black), so that the black squares in the middle of each face are invisible.

Come to think of it, perhaps that’s a possible change to Blender – make the face-center squares white instead of black if the face is dark.