Upgrading Blender

I currently have 2.65 installed. I always try out each new version to see how well it has improved. And if it has improved enough for me I keep the downloaded folder that runs with out install. (Is what I am currently doing with 2.69). If it improves on things I really like, I install it. But I have always hating doing so since I lose all the addons and the theme I have. (I know I can just go back in the new install and go through all the add ons and check off, but I hate doing this). Is there a way for me to just get all my user preferences transferred over as is with out any tweaking from an older version of Blender to a new one?

Also wanted to know if there is a python script or an addon out there that will automatically save an image after it is done rendering. There are times when my render takes a really long time and is done late at night. Problem is sometimes my updates for windows comes in at night at times as well and with the auto restart of the computer I end up losing the rendered image as I sleep.

When you run the new version of blender use the option in the splash screen to copy your existing settings.

Also wanted to know if there is a python script or an addon out there that will automatically save an image after it is done rendering. There are times when my render takes a really long time and is done late at night. Problem is sometimes my updates for windows comes in at night at times as well and with the auto restart of the computer I end up losing the rendered image as I sleep.

A 1 frame animation rendered to an image format or use the File output node in the compositor

funny never noticed that before till you mentioned it. Thanks

Now if I can get help on the first part that be awesome.

Richard already told you how:

on my Windows 64Bit version of 2.69 the splash screen does not show this option.

Has Interaction which list:
Blender (default)
3DSMax
Maya

then has links:
donations
credits
release log
manual
blender website
user community
Python API Reference

Then it has Recent with all my recent Blend files I have used so far within 2.69

Then it has Recover Last Session

No option to copy existing settings.

Even when looking at the install version of 2.65 on my computer I do not see this. Is this because its on Windows, or because it being 64bit?

It only shows that option the first time you open a new version. After that, it has created its own new settings.

ahh ok, so if I do a standard install everything will be all good?

At this point, you should just go find your old version’s user prefs on your hard drive and copy them over. I think on Windows it’s under something like C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender[version number].

do I copy everything that is inside the 2.65 folder?

Found it, and got it. Those paticular files are actually located within appdata

You will probably want to turn off the auto update for Windows if you plan to regularly use your computer for rendering. (The tip that Richard gave you only works if your render has finished when the Windows timer runs out.) Instead choose ‘inform me of updates but let me decide when to install them’. In addition this protects you against windows updates that are unstable in their initial form (which happens reasonably often, and is always quickly fixed, but you don’t want to be one of the first few to find the problem).

Yeah in Users(user)\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender(version)\config (startup, userpref, recent-files, bookmarks). If Blender finds a version folder for the version it is it won’t ask on the Splash if to copy over settings from the older version.

Here’s a tip that many don’t know. Blender first looks in its home folder\version folder (edit: where the datafiles, python, and scripts folders are) for a config folder. If it finds a config folder there with startup, userpref, etc. it will load up those instead of the ones in the user appdata path. (edit: it will save settings to this folder too even if the folder is empty).

This way you can have multiple “installs” for different versions, projects, whatever… each with their own prefs, startup, and bookmarks.

-LP