BBB particles in Blender 2.6x

I’ve been trying to figure out what changed in Blender 2.6 that causes the particles in the Big Buck Bunny character files to render poorly. The parent hairs seem to lay correctly, but they are scaled up from the size that they appear to be when opened in 2.48a (using 2.48 because the bird’s rig has a lattice problem in 2.49). Turning off parents and reducing the size of the child particles to about 0.4 gets me half way there, but then there is still a ‘patchiness’ in the fur and feathers, as if our poor animals have been in a fight. :wink:

I can also scale the body feather in the bird file down to about 40% and achieve the same effect without turning off parent hairs, but the patchiness remains. Could it be roughness settings? Do the parent particles just need to be re-combed?

Original BBB character file rendered in 2.49b and 2.60a. Can you tell which is which? (Not hard to guess since the file name appears in the mouse over.) There are minor variations, yes; but the Blender Internal particle system was pretty much intact through the 2.5 transition phase.

And here’s what happens in 2.69 (also in 2.66a and versions in between). I rendered in Blender Internal and can’t figure out what setting has changed so that I can get the render to look like it did in my post above.

This is a quick and dirty Cycles conversion. I’m still playing with material settings and such, but the particle system remains essentially unchanged from the original. I only turned off child simplification and set the child particle length to 0.4 (from 1.0). I may have to play around with that setting to get the fur on the ears to look better. It’s a work in progress.

What I see is that, other than the scale, the particles lay according to the original file settings. The BI render should display them correctly unless maybe there is now a bug in the render pipeline?

Hi, it’s rather old thread, but maby someone will find usefull this infomration:
To have good quality of the fur on the characters from Big Buck Bunny on later versions of Blender, you have to set virtual parent higher then 0. I used 0.1 and it was exactly the same effect like in older Blender Versions.