BG Christmas Contest WIP

Working toward a larger Christmas scene for the Blender Guru contest. I intend to create several characters and many props. Constructive criticism encouraged!

Attachments

Remade his jacket and belt & tweaked a few other shapes. Moving on to the next character and coming back to him later for finishing touches before texturing.

I like it! Can’t wait to see the other characters

progress

very, very beautiful … no comment, it’s perfect so far.
I’ll be following this post.

HA HA, great work! Can’t wait to see them with textures and everything. I would love to see a rudolph and an elf in this style.
Look forward to seeing more. :yes:

Patience young grasshopper, er… I mean littlemonkey.

Thank you for the encouraging words lads. :slight_smile: Much work to be done.

Another rough draft

Scaling of the 3 together so far.

Looking really nice…Can tell this will be good when complete :smiley:

Getting the scene organized. Still much to do. Rocking chair, Christmas lights, shingles, snow, trees and shrub, character posing, etc. The open space is planned but must remain secret until closer to the deadline. :slight_smile:
The characters are just here for scaling and will probably move around until I get things blocked properly.

Freestyle test setup. Changed a window, scratched the shingles idea, some trees, a sleigh. Might be trying a cycles - freestyle mix…not sure yet. Suprises still to be had. Off to make some lights, mailbox, candy canes, chimney, etc…

Feedback welcome - good, bad, opinions etc. My goal is just to make the honorable mention list. Winning would be crazy good but let’s be realistic here, there are some awesome professional level people doing this.

Great Work! I am doing repairs on my computer so I haven’t really been able to post anything since I started my profile. But I would love to see the wire frames of some of your character models, maybe even the scene? Again. Great Work!

Those trees turned out great.
You planning on sticking with Freestyle or is this just a “lets see what happens” render?

Thanks for the compliment Anthony C.!

This is my first try with freestyle so honestly it was a “see what happens here” kinda thing. But what happened was I fell in love with the idea! All along it was a cycles plan but I’ll wait to decide until after I have the textures painted. If I can get the freestyle lines with alpha on everything else I would love to add the lines to cycles materials. Much to model and learn between now and the deadline.

Either way you are doing great work and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. :yes:

Tweaked some settings and really liking the feel of this. Found out how to mix cycles and freestyle so this is the current plan. Added a mailbox and tweaked the Mrs. coat and bosom area. Plan to detail the sleigh more and add the other already mentioned items plus whatever else time allows.

Honestly this is the best entry I’ve seen so far. Just the cartoon style itself is great. With some color and more detailed lighting you’ll just bomb us out of the way :yes:

Andreas

Thanks for the compliments Xerubian and CLM BLender. Here are some quick wire views of the characters and a fresh update on the scene layout. Getting close to texturing. Have a few more characters, a vehicle, and some minor props to get done first. I am thankful for the feedback, keep it coming.

Everything in the wire view are actually quads. For some reason the wireframe material addon shows some as ngons, not sure why.

I like your original style, trees especially caught my eye!
Keep it up

Title for this will be “Missed Payment”. Rogers Repo - You owe…We tow!

Those of us that are financially challenged know all too well that when the holidays come around a bill or 2 may get set aside for gift money. Santa is no exception. :slight_smile:

More work to be done on the truck and the driver is almost done. Gonna have a pile of bills hanging out of the mailbox and final touches. Getting there slowly.