Hide certain layers with key binding

1. Is there a way through settings to configure a certain key, say F1, to hide layers 5,6 and 7.

2. Why does the layers UI disapear in edit mode? Can I change this.

1. Why does the layers UI disapear in edit mode? Can I change this.
    You cannot move individual vertices/faces to a different layer so showing the layers serves no purpose in edit mode. You can only move objects to another layer so only available in object mode
    If you want to see what layer the current object is on you can see this in the object properties panel

There are lots of times when I want to hide/show a layer in edit mode. When I am working on something like a human eye, there are times when I need to see objects right around it for scale and shape, and I then need to hide them to work on fine details cluttered by surrounding objects.

Try using View Local/Global toggle (Numpad /). It works while in edit mode.

-LP

Hi Blenderallday! I just realized that

1. your avatar is not you, but your model, and
  2. your username is not Blenderlady!!!

To make up for this silliness I can tell you that pressing Shift+layernumber will toggle that layer’s visibility. So if you have all layers showing, you can hold down Shift and press 5, 6, and 7 and those layers are hidden. And vice versa! I am pretty sure this is default, but I can’t guarantee it… let me know if it doesn’t work and I’ll try to see what I did to make it so. I hope that answers your first question satisfactorily.

As for your question 2, I know what you mean, but there’s no easy workaround… It’s either all gone (local) or not, in edit mode. But you can slip out of edit turn off some layers and return without losing your selection…

I really like the shift/number trick and it works in edit mode! Perfect! Now I can tweak verts with my lights hidden, and viewport render without going to object mode, unhiding my lights… This is a real time saver and the answer I was looking for. Thank you.

“1. your avatar is not you, but your model, and
2. your username is not Blenderlady!!!”

Well I’ll take that as a compliment, and like about 99% of modelers (According to Andrew Prices’s survey) I am male. I’ve been working on that female model for a few months, which is a bit ridiculous considering I could make a much more realistic female with makehuman in a couple hours.

And thank you larry phillips, and Richard.