Create your own Naruto Style character competition

November 4 at 12:00am until December 3 at 11:00pm
All blender users come one come all and show off your skills and be judged by some of the best in the 3d industry! This is a challenge that you guys have to be a creative as you can. The winner will receive $100 as the prize plus other few goodies. Our panel of Judges is:
Alessandro Baldasseroni-Lead Character Artist at Blur Studio
Dan Roarty -Principal Artist at Square Enix
Joshua Robinson-Lead Modeler at Double Negative Visual Effects
Kostas Yiatilis MacFarlane-Project Leader at Glasswing Studio
Kim Sharpe-Freelancer/Indie Game Developers
Thomas King-freelancer
Come and be apart of the fun.

Lets Make a naruto :DDDDd

Needs more information.

Is this about character design, character modeling, posing, rendering composition, image editing? So is it just render result, composition, is retouching in image editor allowed, is it 3D model that you must supply, animations?

Do you need character name, background, elements, attacks?

Interested but this doesn’t really give me good grasp on what’s required to participate.

seems like fun, but what are the rules? essentially what kheetor asked

The only rule is to use blender for modeling animation, texturing the works.
The whole point is to be as creative as you want to me. Putting all your skills to work. Animation would be great. Pretty much whatever you feel will give you the edge to win? And going beyond the call of duty is up to you. The least is expected to do the basics. sculpt/Model, texture, pose, animation is optional, and compositing. This is my first contest so please be patient with me. And thank you for the feed back.

Yeah it’s just hard to tell from post like that. In the end Naruto is anime and replicating the style is best in pure 2D in my opinion so I was a bit confused as to why you want to make a modeling competition out of it.

Maybe I should start watching Naruto again so I don’t make my character too similar to something that has already appeared if that is even possible anymore :wink:

is this a good start ?

heh, you have a point about that :stuck_out_tongue: I personally don’t watch the series (although it’s on my todo list) so I can only go after what style I recall from the first few chapters of the manga

Is it necessary to make a anime style character(I don’t know how to put it but I mean aspects like quality or polycount) or can I make a more realistic looking character

yes that is. But you can design your own. You can even do a realistic character as well. Just create a character whether it is cartoonish or realistic however you would like to do it.

You can do a realistic character as well. Just create a character whether it is cartoonish or realistic however you would like to do it. And as of right now. We are not excepting anymore sign ups!

so… if I got it right our goal is to create a naruto-esque character with any style we wish, I assume it comes down to physical aspects like hair, clothing and/or piercings, tattoos and other markings since it clearly isn’t limited to anime only :3

Looks like not many people used this thread since the submissions are on Facebook but here’s my entry anyway :slight_smile:

Shiao - Toad Sage of Zero-Sum Fist (Character booklet with 4 images and text 12Mb)

Preview:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1460088_787798874579398_224544018_n.jpg

There were sign ups in this competition which closed November 4th and the prize was given to someone who wasn’t in the list of participants published on November 4th. The winner arguably topped the rest of the entries in render quality and that could have been clearly foreseen based on his Facebook page alone. The winner was a (Facebook) friend of the arranger.

An impressive range of judges were promised but we didn’t hear a word of any of them nor ever saw any points that were given, the arranger just published the winner and first runner up. I’ve tried asking about it on Facebook for any news without success.

Overall very disappointed in how the competition was run.

I am too disappointed (well, more in myself since I didn’t finish my entry)I do think the competition was rigged, the red flags are that they are friends, the judges didn’t release any info at all and the winner wasn’t even in the contest.

Now the event page has vanished as well and there’s nothing left of the competition besides this forum post. Really nice going.

I have sent a mail to Joe Lee Manns (if that’s a real name) that ran the competition but no response of course.

I am too disappointed (well, more in myself since I didn’t finish my entry)

TBH you should be happy you didn’t invest more of your time into this “competition”.

Oh, I didn’t care too much for the contest :3 I care more about putting something, anything really, in my portfolio (which I am lovingly neglecting), I have four(?) relevant pieces, one recent, one recent-ish, one that is a reup from 2010 and one that I made in four hours (procrastinated because I didn’t want to)