How do I install blender for Linux_x64? I'm using Ubuntu 13.04

How do I install blender for Linux_x64? I’m using Ubuntu 13.04

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Technical Support”

Hoooo… That’s really complicate… :wink:

You have to download (the right version), extract it in your home, open the folder and double-click on “blender”. That’s all. :smiley:

You just don’t install Blender. It evolves too quickly and the distros only have outdated versions in general. Download it from blender.org.

To update, you just download a new version, extract it and (eventually) delete the folder of the old version. (Just don’t save your work in this folder!) :wink:

But if your Ubuntu installation is fresh and you never had Blender installed, you must first install the dependencies.
*Easy Way: Open the software center, search for Blender and install it.

Now you can use that version installed, or the official Blender builds. As Kaluura said, always are recommended official builds.

*From the terminal installing only the dependencies:

sudo apt-get update

and:

sudo apt-get install fonts-droid libavcodec53 libavdevice53 libavformat53 libavutil51 libboost-filesystem1.53.0 libboost-locale1.53.0 libboost-regex1.53.0 libcdio-cdda1 libcdio-paranoia1 libdc1394-22 libgsm1 libjs-jquery libopencv-core2.4 libopencv-highgui2.4 libopencv-imgproc2.4 libopenimageio1.1 libschroedinger-1.0-0 libsdl1.2debian libswscale2 libtbb2 libva1

These are the packages that I have seen are installed with Blender, maybe not all needed, but no matter.

Edit: I have found that all those packages only the package “libsdl1.2debian” is necessary to blender build can run, but maybe some of the other packages may be needed later, such as codecs.

Last recommendation, try Kubuntu :smiley: