Large Size Rendering in Cycles

Hi Guys,

First post on here, would really appreciate some help:

Been on blender for about 5 months, this is the first time I have needed to produce a large size render (9922 x 19110 px) I have read other threads like this, but not found a solution that works for me.

I’m attempting to approach the problem by rendering chunks of my image (shift +B in camera view) and subsequently stitching them all together in photoshop, but each time I complete a render of any chunk, I go to save and blender unexpectedly quits.

I can only imagine this is because the final render’s height is <10,000px. Regardless of the size of the chunk I choose to render, blender will always substitute all the non-rendered space in my image with plain black. Perhaps there is a way to not have blender add that black space around? I think if could solve this, I’d have smaller image outputs, blender would not crash, and I’d ultimately be able to stitch together a complete image!!

My machine specs (if it helps):
OSX
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Blender: 2.68a

Thanks

Finally solved this one – I can’t believe how stupid this was.

For anyone else with a similar issue out there, there is a tick box in the render menu under dimensions titled crop. tick that, and none of the black space will render around your border area.

After you’ve dutifully slapped your forehead (“d-oh!!”) a time or three as you see fit, please go back now and mark the thread title as [SOLVED] so that the next person with a similar problem wil zero-in on the solution that you found.

Yeah slap forehead but beware Blender can cause calluses and concussions.

Thanks for the tip and welcome to BA Forums.

-Larry