noob problem, can't select objects in edit mode.

I can’t select multiple objects while in edit mode, whatever object I have selected in object mode, is the only one I can edit when I switch to edit mode, If I have multiple objects selected in object mode, I can’t even go into edit mode, it does’t even show the option, and the tab button does absolutely nothing, although if I have multiple armatures selected, I can go into edit mode with those, but then I can’t deselect them or select new ones. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or if I did something wrong, I’m just confused.

As far as I know that’s normal Blender behaviour.

Think of objects as containers. You can only open one container at a time to edit what is inside.

Welcome to BA Forums.

-Larry

If you wanted to edit all of those objects at once you could go back into Object Mode and select the ones you want then press Ctrl + J and then when you go into Edit Mode you will be able to edit all of them. However these objects are now one object so you would have to separate them again if you wanted them to be different objects after editing!

I could have sworn that you could work on multiple objects at once in edit mode? maybe on my other projects blender just considered everything to all be one object. sorry for the dumb questions. thank you for answering.

I could have sworn that you could work on multiple objects at once in edit mode?
You’re mistaken

maybe on my other projects blender just considered everything to all be one object
Not considered one object, they really would have had to be one object

When you are in edit mode, and add something to the scene, what you are doing is adding more vertices to your existing object. The fact that it looks like a new object probably confused you into thinking you actualy added a new object. But you did not, you simply made the object you were editing more complex. It is a pretty common noob error. You need to be aware of what ‘mode’ you are in when you do something, since it affects what happens.

You’ll notice that the add menu says “Mesh” rather than “Object”. The thing that makes that mesh a separate object is when you add it while you are in object mode.

1 Like