Anyone know a good Text editor?

This is probably a dumb thing to say but… For most of my life i was under the impression that Microsoft word was something that just came with a computer. Literally every computer in the world had it. It was at school, friends houses, my house, people would never talk about using anything else, and if we got a new computer it magically had Word already or something.

But the my last computer which was my first windows 7 computer said i only had a free trial of microsoft office tools that lasted 25 uses.
And now my new computer even says the same thing. Apparently we have a disc of it somewhere that’s several years old but my dad had tried it and says that it had expired or something.

Anyway, is there a free text editor that is at least slightly more useful that notepad?
I’m wanting one so that i can keep track of a story i’m working on writing and perhaps for diolouge scripting later for animation.

Any thoughts? x:

Libreoffice

^What doublebishop said

Thank you very much ^-^ It’s exactly what i was looking for

Just for the terminology as we’re all professionals here:

OpenOffice/LibreOffice aren’t “Texteditors”. They are first and foremost office packages, or productivity suites as we call them nowadays, and their “text editor” is per definition a “word processor”.

Anyways, good you found what you wanted. :slight_smile:

If you really want text editors I can recommend
Geany and Notepad++
I love them both. Geany for Linux, Notepad++ for Windows. You could also use Geany for Windows, but I am too used to NP++ :slight_smile:

I also really like gedit. First used it on Linux, and when I switched back to Windows I brought it with me :slight_smile: It’s got a bunch of neat and very useful features for programming too, if you’re interested in that.

Are you using some kind of Linux emulator on Windows for that?

Just download the windows binaries from the Gedit page:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/gedit/2.30/gedit-setup-2.30.1-1.exe

Haha, it’d have to be some SERIOUS personal preference to warrant using a virtual machine just to use a lightweight text editor :wink:

Thanks. I looked on the Gnome site and on sourceforge. Don’t know how I missed that.

I suppose it would. :slight_smile:

First off there is a wealth of difference between a word processor (MS Word, LibreOffice Writer, et. al.) and a text editor (vi, emacs, nano, et. al) in their goals and functionality. I use both myself. That is to say when I’m doing work on one of my many writing projects I use LibreOffice Writer and when I’m doing some Perl scripting I use either Vi or Emacs.

There are versions of Vi (see http://www.vim.org/download.php) for Windows directly but my preference is Emacs within Cygwin/X if I am forced to work in the Microsoft world. (at work for instance)

I am a Linux bigot so I don’t do Windows any more than I have to. Seems though some of the 3d modelling I’ve done works better on Windows than Linux (MakeHuman Alpha 7 for instance) so…

Textpad for Windows. The main reason I gave up on Linux was that gedit gets really slow once your text files has 100,000+ lines (easy to create when scripting). A new set of hotkeys can be learnt in a day, but performance is what it is.

I am prefer Sublime Text

Sublime Text is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux. It’s distributed as evaluation software (meaning it’s free to try, but there’s no time limit on how long you can use it for free) and a full license will cost you $70. A full license is per user, so you can use it on as many computers as you like once you have one. In the call for contenders thread, those of you who nominated Sublime praised its impressive feature-set, developer-friendly plug-ins and API, side-by-side file comparisons, and much more.

Wordpad for Windows 7 is pretty good for most uses. If it doesn’t have the features you need, I’d just give in and get MS office, unless you’re satisfied by libreoffice.