WIPs and Projects

Leica Luxus 1 (1931)

Attachments

it is looking good and interesting head
would like to try it may be

can you show a side front top view if possible

there was a nice hair node set up for a tiger might be possible to modifiy it for a cheetah may be

happy cycles

Hi, thanks for comments.

I’ve upadated with the inner mouth and a new topology for nose area.
Still a few last details to fix and modeling will be done.

I’ll have test for fur. May be in internal because my GPU is not strong enough to work with cycles.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]261063[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261064[/ATTACH]

Hello,

Well, cheetah will be owned by a nice lady, and i wanted to introduce her in the topic, as they will be a duo.

Here is Archerella.

The body is based on the blenderella tutorial.
You can see evolution of the process here, plus my own adds (inner mouth, feet, belly + accessories and of course cheetah!)

It’s an internal render, with ambiant occlusion and Envir. lights ON.
Mid-poly + Normal maps + baked Diffuse textures. Still have to bake AO maps.
This is quite basic render for now, i will improve that.
I don’t use Cycles because my computer is not strong enough, and Cycles seems not the best for animation also, as i 've heard.
After created the highpoly sculpted version, I’ve produced a mid-poly version, intended for animation and short rendertimes.
So i’m at the texturing phase now. Still remaining the hair, eyelashes, eyebrows, skin, and the final polish with final details.
When she will be all textured, with cheetah too, i’ll start to rig them.

I’m looking for critics and advices. It’s not intended for BGE but animations and videos.

Thanks for watching !

The models look great… looking forward to seeing that cheetah run, but I imagine that won’t be for awhile.

I wish to have them rigged in december. I work on it on my extra time.
I think rig will be really challenging, specially the lady with those layered clothes. I used mask modifiers, and didn’t join meshes.

Here for cheetah modeling process : http://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/sets/72157632729528876/

i did a quick test in cycles CPU only
and with limited hair count i got this

happy cycles

How long rendering?

I’m affraid hair will be too long for animation rendering, because if you want no grainy images you have to increase samples.
I will have some tests of course. I only have a GTX 260 on an i5.
Anyway, I will produce a haired cheetah for still renders, and i will see if i can render it animated without eternal render times.
If not i will make a fur texture.
I don’t think it’s possible to bake hair on a texture. It would be great!

Hi,
a little update on Archerella.
Be kind with me, i’m still a noob in skin and hair shaders.
My goal is to have short render times for animation, that’s why i don’t use hair particles nor SSS.
And of course to get a decent skin and hair texturing. I’m still practicing for that.
Here is my result for now, and i’m not very satisfied.
I will work more on that to improve.
Please, let me know what you think, i need criticism and advices.

What i did there :

Hair shader :
1 normal map hair from sculpt
1 diffuse hair (painted in photoshop based on AO baking)
1 AO map (multiply mode)
1 specular ma
I played with the blending and influence settings to get what i thought was ok. I know it’s not perfect.

Skin shader :
I baked the AO map,
Applied a color to the mesh, then baked it as diffuse (texture bake),
I made a couple of different diffuse bakes after changing mesh color,
I mix/blend all in PSD,
In fine i apply those images to the skin material, and play with shader, layering of image textures and influence settings to get this result.
I consider this as a base for the next steps for skin shader : Sculpt some details to bake normals, rebake an AO, Painting details in PSD then make the final shader.
I’m a noob in skin shader, so i’m not very effective in the workflow.
I don’t want SSS or particle hair to save render time.
Is it possible to bake SSS of fake it?
I work in internal.

Clothes and equipment have no AO texture applied.
Is it better to apply them or not , if we wanna make character animation?
Here i’m rendering with Ambiant occlusion ON and raytracing.

Well, i’m training to improve this, as i’m not very satisfied with hair and skin.

Tell me what you think, i’d appreciate.

Thanks, and see you !

I’m right with you on skin shaders and hair shaders… so someone else will have to give you advice. But when looking at the character, the thing that really makes her hair stand out ( in terms of the CG’ness) is those strands of hair that are outside of headband. No question that it gives the character a cute look, but are you locked into leaving them as is?

The other thing maybe would be to make the hair less glossy… the braids are where is stands out to me…

Just some thoughts, you really have done a nice job on her, it’s a shame your equipment won’t allow for the new strand rendering.

I agree, the hair you’re talking about are not nice. I can make one single and larger mesh, then make nice alpha hair there. Replace the 3 with one large.

I can change that and will.

what means standing out ? (sorry, french here)

Yes, i’d like to animate with hair particle but, with my computer it will take eternity, specially with the cheetah. I make compromise btw realism and rendertime.

I have a high poly sculpted version, may be make one strand hair version for one still render later, but now focusing on the mid-poly.

Thanks for comments.

Another render here (full body)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/10508435963/

what means standing out ? (sorry, french here)

I guess what that means is… It was noticeable, to me the viewer, that the hair appeared not so good in those strands that was outside the headband.

I always admire on this forum, what a good job people who have different native languages other than english, communicate so fluently. Your english is very good Lollito.

Hi,
little update on the skin texture.
I’ve played again with layerings, blending modes etc. in PSD and blender.
The result is more natural than the previous post.

I’ve try faked SSS but it increase drastically the render time. So i won’t do with it.
I’ve tried also poject painting, which gave very nice result with the blenderella reference images, but their resolution is too low to use them for project. Mapping = OK, resolution = BAD.
So here again with photoshop and blender as i don’t have HD references.
May be need some sculpt now to have some details baked i normal map.
Well, still experimentating.
Thanks for watching!

Hi,

here some updates on the cheetah. I did review the head, paws and leg topology and shaping. I’ve added axtra loops on the face, thinking about the facial animation, and cleaned the mesh a bit where i could ( i have a triangle inside the ear…).
Also finished the inner mouth, still remains little front teeth to model.
I’m still wondering about adding some extra muscle topology and geometry or not ?
To get more realistic result, the solution would be to sculpt it and make a retopo with all muscles topology. May i’ll do it, if the rendered haired result is not enough convincing.

I made some particle hair and texturing.
You can see some results here. (texturing still in progress).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/10572171203/

So here the screenshot, tell me what you think !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]270549[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270550[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]270551[/ATTACH]

Thanks for comments !

Ooo…Topology looks really neat!

Thanks !

Here some updates with ambiant occlusion and specular maps on Archerella.

I started to sculpted the clothes a little bit to add life.

Here the maps applied to the low poly in glsl screenshot

Still wip.

Thanks for reading !

Hi !

i’ve updated the boots.

Sculpted meshes :

A bit of improvisation.
Any critics welcome.

Bye :slight_smile:

Hi !

Some updates.
The corset sculpt first. All in multires.
I’m quite happy with the sculpt result, it gives life to the model, and i feel i passed a step in my skills mastering.
I need more memory to work more easily. Only 4Go now.

And some glsl renders on the “low poly” version with all maps applied (normals, diffuse, AO, specs.).

It’s more “mid poly” as it is for animation and not for game.

This one indicates the render time of a real render made just before. It’s in fact rendered in 00.00.00 just as the previous image.

You can see more here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/

Now the sculpt is finished, i will finish texturing with Photoshop + Blender paint.
Aand fix the front hair locks, then the rig part.

I will use the Animation Cookbook to rig her. I’ve already made the bust with IK/FK chains and switcher.
See it in action here : https://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/13988355431/in/photostream/lightbox/
This book is a must have !

Well, see you !

Not bad at all

Thanks !

Well, i’ve got some updates to this project.

First i made new hair locks and practice polygone hair.
I produce alpha mask with hair particles in blender. Strand rendering and shadeless material
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lollito/15753682651/
I import the image and make it alpha chanel in PSD.

Well, i find it usefull and time saving. With one strand and a few camera around you can produce variations in a few seconds, as the render are instantly. Set your camera to image size desired. Render with alpha background.

Here a screenshot. Hair texture need a color correction. I’ll do in PSD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349162[/ATTACH]

I fixed topology on the cheetah and starting to work on the rig. The trail and the paws have no bones yet.
Well it seems to work nicely for now.
I only focused on spine, neck and legs, editing armature, as it’s never good at the first time you pose bones.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]349165[/ATTACH]

Thanks for reading, have good blends !