Golden Mini-Golf Adventures; improved for 2.68, 180 holes among 3 modes.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3043m1ht5ebskks/Golden_Mini_Golf_Adventures.blend

(Okay, these are from the project in 2.49, but much of the graphics have been unchanged).

ABOUT THE GAME::

This is the updated version of my old miniature golf game project for Blender 2.63 and newer, this game sees you going through various courses in three different modes, trying to get the lowest score possible. The features are…

• Three different modes, Regular mini-golf, Hole in One Challenge, and Hit the Targets.
  • 72 normal Mini-Golf holes spread over 4 courses, some are not your average holes, some of them have boosts and some of them will require you to spike the ball into the air to make jumps. Some are also very long (Including a Par 16)
  • 36 holes for the Hole in One Challenge (over two courses)
  • 36 holes for Hit the Target Mode (over two courses).
  • Holes that disable the height bar and require you to play the normal way (new in this version)
  • Tricky mode, play without the aim widget and without restart ability, also prepare to click fast as the way the sliders are set also change (also new in this version).
  • Minor graphical changes from 2.49, some holes do not have glass ceilings to act as height limiters anymore because of the new height disabling feature.
  • Also new. UI’s now have nice crisp letters and the in-game UI is now in an overlay, meaning it will not clip if the camera’s moved through a wall.

CONTROLS / HELP::

All of this is mentioned in the in-game help screens, no need to say here.

All in all, I hope this is just as fun or better than it was in 2.49.

Do note though, playing in 2.68 in the viewport may give some control bugs (due to an actual bug in Blender), play this using the Blenderplayer if you want the best experience (it also has Anti-Aliasing this way).

An additional note, the way I set the menu UI’s up, I can technically work on this game forever if I had the dedication and enough ideas, 8 courses total seem to be enough for an initial version though.

EDIT1: Pulled the initial download link so I can upload a new version, the new one has fixes for boost pads not working well along with a heavier usage of the applyForce code function to fix underwhelming shot speeds at high power and to make the boost pads boost you better.

EDIT2: Another couple of fixes and tweaks, I stupidly forgot to make sure that the new applyForce lines applied the force for the shot on the local axes (makes me wonder sometimes if I should be developing and releasing games at all) and fixed the final score on the end screen not displaying the correct value. I also sped up the progression of the power bar a little, (to make sure the user is still able to get those soft putts, but not have to wait several seconds or more to get a nice long one).

Update no. 1: This update brings a new course and some additions/enhancements to the game (the download link now has the updated version).

CHANGES::

• Improved the way the ball bounces off walls, the default Bullet behavior with spherical objects tend to favor having the ball travel along the wall if it collides at an angle or stops the ball entirely no matter what the elasticity setting is set to. The ball should now bounce off barriers a lot more like a real golf ball and assists in making some holes easier.

• New course, this new course is different as it is the first one where the height parameter for the shot is disabled for all holes, I just about ran out of ideas by hole 18 so don’t expect any new courses for a while (that might change though).

• New mechanics, water, buttons (that do something when the ball rolls over them), the game finally has a windmill hole as well.

• Highscores, the highscore screen become visible in a scene that you go to after you complete the course and see your final score, this is set in a way where you see the correct set of values for each course (course 1 values will not show for course 3 for example).

• Custom friction system, different materials are now a lot better at slowing your ball down at different speeds, this also means that there are now holes with ‘rough’ that slow down the ball faster than the normal grass.

• Tweaked the shot forces, limited the power and height parameters to ensure no ridiculously high or fast shots, but still enough to make some holes possible.

• Fixed the bad collision behavior brought by boosters due to an initial tweak to the physics settings, it’s now again the same as it was in 2.49.

Also, credit to Martinsh for the core of the water shader that is used on some holes, there were a few minor changes, but it’s based on one of his demo files.

Attachments

UPDATE 1.1:

This update fixes a few issues that were in the game when the first update was uploaded, also a change or two.

ISSUES FIXED:
-Oversight from testing, completing hole 1 of the first course took you back to the start of the hole, doing it indefinitely.
-The shots value in the UI was not cleared when the hole was restarted.

CHANGES:
-Tried to simplify and refresh part of the logic for the system done to get the ball to bounce realistically, initial tests show what appears to be improved behavior.
-A tweak to the forces applied to the ball when a shot is initiated to reduce the amount of flying if the power bar is set to a high value, which may make some high energy shots easier to keep from flying out and getting a penalty.

I want try demo :S

Just got a new update done.

This update adds a new course for the Hole in One Challenge and changes/refreshes other aspects.

• -One of the original textures was a low-res brick texture, the resolution has now been upped to match that of the newer textures that have since been added to the game
  • -Refreshed and cleaned the code for the bouncing mechanism, it’s now a bit more reliable and accurate and allowed for hole ideas that weren’t really possible before, if the ball was going diagonally in a square, it could go on forever if there was no friction. The raycast used to detect walls in front of the ball is also more accurate and reliable.
  • -Fixed an issue where the rolling friction was wrong on some of the older holes, those holes used an older rendition of the Grass texture and the code now checks for that material as well.
  • -Sound effects for hole completion and penalties (both by falling and going into the water), the splash sound was a CC0 file from freesound.org and files were edited in Audacity to meet the needs for the game.

I also have ideas that might be applicable for a third course for Hit the Target mode, but I again struggled to find ideas at times if I was to not just rehash existing holes.

If anyone wants an idea of how many scenes can smoothly fit into a BGE game, you can theoretically go on forever if you have a proper naming scheme.

Nice work :smiley:

I’'m trying this out tomarrow

Everything in one .blend file? Nice! / Terrifying! :smiley:

Excellent Work.