Dodge Challenger 1971 Animation + Stills

Hello everyone this is my latest project. Model and short animation of Dodge Challenger 1971. Renderer: Cycles + BI. Hope You like it and please comment ;].

Attachments

Very nice animation and renders, RedForest! I’m glad you’ve given the black paint a more matte finish. Too often I think we forget that car paints need not always be “super wet” reflective. Your modeling looks very clean and well detailed. I like the “CG Goodcycles” on the sidewalls!

Was it difficult to setup the lighting for the animation? The car looks to be lit well in every shot. Reflections are good. I also like the white paint version you’ve added, and the driving simulation at the end. Very nicely done!

What would you say was the biggest challenge in creating your animation?

This look amazing. Great attention to detail and superb modeling. I’d change those chrome wheels and tires to something that fits the 70’s better, though. :slight_smile:

Awesome work on this. Nothing like a good ol’ classic muscle car.

@James Candy
Thanks

“Was it difficult to setup the lighting for the animation?”

Lighting is animation is very basic. Black car shots have blurred enviroment light, for White car shots i used emit planes. In tunel walls are one big emitter + additional planes mostly for reflections on car, it’s not physically correct, but render faster with less noise. Last corrections are done in compostior .Thats all ;].

“What would you say was the biggest challenge in creating your animation?”

Average rendering time was 3-4min. which isn’t long, but at the moment for me it was.

@Analdin
I’m not 100% satisfied with modeling, but hope i’m on a good way.
I saw this wheels on most photos, so i chose this model.

one of the best car stills here on blenderartist, one detail - windshields looks too matte for me, i know it should hide lack of interior but still

wonderful, thank you !

How long did it take you to render this model?

My computer always takes forever to render anything in cycles… come to think about it, in Blender render too.

For example I rendered a 877 frame animation for my video game’s trailer. It took me 8 and a half hours to render it in Blender render!

4k renders was 3hours for car(1200samples) and 30min. for background(200samples). Background was blurred in compostior. Animation frames was rendered separately too, car(100-200samples) and background(50samples). Car model is 734k verts which is important for faster renders. As i said before average rendering time was 3-4min., background and Bi smoke + simple objects(for compositior) was no more than 1min. per frame. Animation is 30fps, 24fps was to jumpy for me.

So conclusion - if your render time per frame is up to 6min. in some cases up to 8min. go and render this.

Edit:
Rendered on i5 - 3450 @ 3.10GHz, 8GBram

This car reminds me of the PlayStation 1 game “Driver” Nice model :slight_smile:

Now that’s a truly amazing model! There’s one thing you’ve done there which I’m wondering about… it’s those side orange reflectors on the front and the back. I’ll need to replicate a reflector at some point, but I still don’t know how could I model it in an effective way. I mean, I’ve carefully observed how real ones are… and I was scared. Also, I’m guessing the chrome inside the front lights isn’t 100% reflective, but I still don’t know the exact materials of the glass covering them… not to say the rear lights. That’s quite a mistery for me yet.

So, of course, you don’t have to bother to explain all of that, but if you could give me some little tip, it’d be really appreciated. And again, great model and rendering!

This side orange reflector can easy made with one curve. Change fill type to full and change bevel to what you need. Then convert curve to mesh. Delete everything except two loops inside and out side. Use modifier shrinkwarp and use car body as target, also change mode to project and apply this. Bridge those loops, and by extruding and adding additional loops shape it to what you need.

Chrome inside front lights is the same chrome as a chrome bumpers. Two glossy BSDF with diffrent color mixed with fresnel.

Material for front glass cover is glass mixed with trasparent, as a factor is Light Path node “is shadow ray” connect. So noting special, because cover is a geometry. I made few tests and find geometry renders faster and gives better result, than bump map, but mayby only in this case, i didnt test normal map. Materials for rear lights are 3 basic glass materials for different geometry parts.

Hope it’s helpful ;]. And thanks.

Sorry for being late with this, but many thanks for the explanation, it was really helpful. Best of luck with any other projects :wink: !

Great job!