Best free screen recorder

I sometimes make blender tutorials. The only problem is I use the in-built blender screencast function; it’s very good but I can’t show the rendering of animations, or anything that I do out of blender.
So does anyone know of a good free screen capture program?

For Windows, OS X or Linux?

for Windows

Camstudio is quite good
http://camstudio.org/

EZVID seems nice to (haven’t tried it)

Thanks for the suggestions!
I’ve now got CamStudio, working fine.

Camstudio’s pretty good, if a little finicky - though TBH it might have improved since I last used it (I switched to Linux Mint 13 last November, so it’s been a while). There’s also Blueberry Flashback Express which works brilliantly, though you need to create an account. The account and everything are free, and relatively easy to create too, it’s just an extra step to go through.

I might add that if anyone’s looking for screencapture software in Linux, give Vokoscreen a try. The Window capture mode is a little buggy, but other than that it works really great. I can even record DotA2 in fullscreen 1080p at 24FPS without any problems :slight_smile: Just throwing that out there.

this is the best one i have ever seen

http://obsproject.com/

camstudio all the way

i used camstudio for a few videos
gave me some trouble but its in 2nd place after open broadcaster :wink:

it does work brilliantly however the file that it exports out to can be ridiculously huge, (40+ GB) so you’ll need to have plenty of storage space until you can compress them down to a useable file size afterwards. (you can do it in blender no problem)

Hmm…I don’t remember the file sizes being quite that large (I think I had 6GB files at most), but I might have set it up with lower-quality settings, I can’t remember. Like I said in my earlier post, I haven’t used Win7 since last November, so I’ve now forgotten a lot of little details like that :o

But yeah, I guess that would be the trade-off, file-size for function. Camstudio can also sometimes generate huge files, but…can’t say it was a charm to use. Not all the time, anyway.

I love free being on a fixed income now. However, I couldn’t find a free screen capture that did what I wanted several years ago. Including camstudio at the time. Then I ran across ‘FastStone Capture’ for 19.95 US and a lifetime license. Matter of fact I could not believe it is still the same price since there have been many improvements. Including a much needed pause button, editing captured video after the fact, and recording speaker sound without a mike. But, hit the link and make up your own mind. The license is to you and not the machine by the way. I bought a second computer and was up and running with FastStone on it in minutes.
http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

///

^^ i think they are paying this man… dont give in!

^ Dude, thanks for pointing out Open Broadcaster. I’ve had soo many headaches with camstudio, but this was fantastic.

I was able to record hd gameplay without any noticeable lag, so it should work very well for blender tuts.

yeah open brodcaster has so many cool features like recorders for your desktop or for games
sound recording per application
live streaming
its pretty amazing i haven’t even messed with half of them

I am new here. I also need a free screen recorder. Thank you for your asking.:slight_smile:

I am new here. I also need a free screen recorder. Thank you for your asking.:slight_smile: