Tyto alba's Sketchbook

I’m new to Blender, so I’ve been watching a bunch of tutorials. Though the models are not perfect, I’m proud of my first Blender scene. I’m going to try to make something a bit more dynamic now – some splashing liquid and some steam. Wish me luck!

oh, i think the models are pretty… i like the material of the cups… btw welcome to blender artists forum. enjoy!

Thanks, Doris! I’m glad you like the cups. I’m still tweaking the translucence, glossiness, and color of the glass, but in getting the material closer to what I want I’m getting a better grasp on how the different shaders interact.

Here’s a work in progress – the inside of a Victorian house. I created the wallpaper in Illustrator, based on a design from the time period. I wanted the look of a gold foil filigree, so I created a separate alpha channel of just the gold parts ahead of time. Since I’m still a Blender novice, it took me forever to figure out how to layer the textures properly, but once I got it I was pleased with the result. I have plans to create a coffered ceiling, make the floor more realistic, and add a well-appointed room beyond the other threshold, too.

Added a frieze with a flock wallpaper and a light fixture for the room. Of course this is creating more graininess, which I’ll have to address.

I decided to build a chandelier for the room instead. Having a “bulb” in the lamps with an emission material isn’t creating the light I want for the room when I darken the environment, so I’m going to have to keep experimenting. Also, I had an interesting mistake happen when I didn’t join the parts of the chandelier properly and tried to do a “move geometry to origin.”

fun! yes these mistaked sometimes bring out great results!..

Maybe I’ll do it again it in the future, only on purpose instead of by accident. :slight_smile:

Textures and decorations are really impressive. You can create a five star scene

Thank you very much, mrrm!

Amazing work for anyone, but especially someone new to blender

Thanks a lot! I used a Boolean modifier to create parts of the egg-and-dart molding and the routing up by the door transoms, but this created a lot of triangular faces. I didn’t originally know that this was a problem, but from certain angles the gloss on the wood highlights them unattractively. After doing some reading, I’m now going back over some of the topology to fix them.

Pardon me while I play around with the panorama setting I just found. :slight_smile:

I’m aiming for a surrealistic kind of scene here. Some things I’m going to address with this:
The pouring liquid is penetrating too far into the cup, so it’s looking less like the shadow of the liquid inside and more like some kind of weird stain. I’ll have to push it back in sculpt mode.
I’ll put the lid back on the kettle. I originally had the contents of the pot blasting the lid off, but with the liquid I’ll have sloshing around in the other cups, it’ll just get too busy.
I’m going to re-model the saucers, this time starting with a cylinder that has more faces. I’ve tried to subdivide them, but that isn’t helping the way that the corners on the rims are visible.

Once I get the liquid to do what I want (been doing dozens of liquid simulations trying to get the right results), I’ll work on steam.

A few more changes to the teacups scene.

Just a screenshot of an escutcheon I’m working on for a pocket door in my Victorian model.

Welcome to BA
Amazing you are doing really well keep it up.

I’ll keep a eye on this thread.

Thanks, Mechman!

Still playing around with these teacups.

Starting work on an elaborate birdcage that will be a prop in my Victorian parlor scene.