Motorola X phone

Hey.

Starting a new project, this time around its the Motorola X phone. This is a interesting phone in that it is highly customizable. Check out the images below, and yes that is real wood, lol.

Edited for the thread image.

Attachments

Couple more reference images

Attachments

New update!

Attachments

Another update.

Attachments

Your phone is looking very good so far, Acer! I really appreciate your attention to detail, such as all those little holes on the back cover (I’m assuming for a speaker). Great work!

That wooden cover is also pretty nice, if it is indeed real wood!

Update, modeling done. Every phone needs a set of headphones.

Attachments

A few more images. I also attached a reference image of the headphones I modeled.

Attachments

Cool! Well, these new release Moto X, having a custom-built phone is always the best option. There is something else you will find kind of fun with these phones. The Motorola Skip accessory will be released with the phone. Though it costs about $20, according to droid-life.com, it will be given for free with all new phone purchases. This cell phone have been striving to come up with new and improved ways to make protecting your phone easier.

More news at www.businesstexter.com.

Your modeling is simply gorgeous, Acer! The headphones are a very nice addition. I looked at many of the projects on your blog and was very impressed.

Your Google Nexus model was actually very inspiring for me. You even nailed the lighting, with the diagonal highlight on one side of the screen that every phone ad seems to have. Do you have similar plans as to the final render of this model, or something different?

Hey Trevorwilde, thanks for the tip on the moto skip (I forgot about that). I’ll model that cool little accessory too. Btw, welcome to the forums! I’m looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Hey James candy. Thanks for all the kind words. As for my plans for this phone, I’m going to do something close to what I did with my nexus 7 on my blog. I think you will like it. I’m rendering the first test render now (it’s been rendering for 3 hours now) and I should have it posted sometime tomorrow. Also, If you want, feel free to post comments on my blog posts. It lets me know people are reading them :slight_smile:

Update, the phone now has color!!!:stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

Nice! Your renders look very professional! Are you calling it finished? There’s no ground plane, is that on purpose? Have you done much color adjustment yet?

Very nice! Your renders look great! As soon as I see it on your blog as well, I will comment! I know how hard it can be to drive traffic to your own site.
I’ll be sure to share it on the Classy Dog facebook page as well, to let others know about it!

Hey fusobotic, thanks for the compliments. I’m not calling this done yet, but I am trying to think of ways to improve on the images. As for the ground plane, I left it out on purpose. I’ve see a lot of press renders done that way before, but I think I will render out a few test renders with one just to see what it looks like. Also, I’ve not done any color adjustments yet. What do you think needs adjusted?

James candy, thanks for all the compliments. I would appreciate it if you would share my work. Btw, I updated my blog with something else I’ve been working on. Also, what do you think can be improved on the images?

I think there could probably be a little more contrast on the top render. I don’t see any fully black or white values so it seems a bit washed out. (though that could just be image compression) I wouldn’t mess with the color balance though, since studio renders are usually pretty neutral on that end (though blue values seem to be popular with vehicles). The bottom one looks fine on the other hand, I wouldn’t change much. Groundplane wise, it’s up to you… I would include one since you’ve got headphones draping down and there’s nothing for them to rest on (makes it feel a bit floaty and unnatural). If it were just the phone, no ground would be fine.

Btw, I see you live in Ohio, what part? I live down in Cincinnati myself.

Some color variations.

Attachments

A few more.

Attachments

Ah much better! For the rainbow layout… third variation is my favorite. For the wood shot, first is my favorite, though the third one is pretty good as well.

Fusobotic, ok I understand what you mean now. I’ll redo the background and go with a almost pure black background. also I’ll try a few renders with a ground plane. Looking at it now, it does look a bit unnatural with the headphones just hanging there with nothing under them.

Btw, I live just south of Grove City.

Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been away from the house all day. I saw your blog post, and it looks like a killer project! I’ll share a link tomorrow in the afternoon when there’s more traffic on Facebook.

I really do like the look of both bleached.jpg and instant.jpg! It’s hard for me to choose which I prefer.

As for the lineup, I’m leaning toward the punchier colors. I may be biased, though. Ever since Instagram, I’ve slowly been developing an unfair distaste for the “vintage” effect given to images. Hopefully in time this will fade, because I really do like the look. Just not so much when anyone can apply it to their cell phones pictures. And does!

And if I had any other suggestions for image ideas, have you considered trying the shot on white? I know it’s a bit Apple/overdone, but if you want to give a floor for the headphones it could be a good start. If you haven’t already, you could also experiment with using a gradient on the light which is being used for the screen reflection. This can give you a nice falloff from the top down, instead of a continuous value highlight. It might add some more realism (not that it needs any!).