Modifier that will turn tris into quads

Hello everyone. I don’t know if this has been asked before, but here it goes. I was wondering if there is anything in development of a software that take a tris mesh and translate it into a quad mesh. I know zbrush has something like this I think something like that would be very useful to blender arsenal.

It exists, sorta. You can get quads from tris with the remesh modifier. Not always the best option though, still it works well depending on the mesh and expectations.

There is the Triangulate Faces operator (Ctrl+T in Edit mode) that does this for you… but no modifier (so you can’t necessarily get back to the same quad mesh you had… you can get close with the Tris to Quads operator (Alt+J in Edit mode), but there’s no guarantee it’ll be exactly the same).

Neither the zbrush similar “modifier” works perfectly.
On the other hand, Fweeb, edit mode is not always a solution. Not for dense meshes.
However, what we do not have in blender, but it exists in zbrush, is the “rebuild subdivisions” (possibly under the multires modifier) on a subdivided mesh, sculpted and exported from zbrush by example. Now, we have to export the low poly base mesh, the hi density sculpted mesh; combine them in blender by using shrinkwrap. Well, not a decent method but the only that can rebuild a multires imported mesh. Very approximated, it also needs some edits-refinements on problematic areas after.

These about dense imported sculpting.
If you’re asking how to convert SketchUp imported meshes to quads, try to export from SUp as collada. It supports n-gons. Jump to edit mode then, W merge (weld) doubles and have a decent mesh for UV unwrapping or further modeling.

Oops… I read the OP backwards (quads to tris instead of the other way around). My mistake. Alt+J will give you quads… just perhaps not arranged the way you may want them to be.

Michalis, does the unsubdivide option on the decimate modifier work somewhat like the rebuild subdivisions in zbrush?

another trick here apply a subsurf level 1 then it will give only quads!

happy blendering

But it will leave you with 3-4 times more verts than your original model, plus it will smooth it out and that’s not always what you want.

I am wondering a bit about the need for this to be a modifier though. The only real use for a modifier like that would be to apply it directly after adding it to have an all-quad mesh but if that’s all you’ll use it for it’s better to make it an operator in edit mode.

I agree with NinthJake in that it would not need to be a modifier, it would be pointless. And also I tried ALT-J and it seems to only get rid of Some! of the triangles. I also tried to triangulate a mesh and then press ALT-J and it definitely made my mesh look bad.

On the left is the original with subsurf, and on the right is after triangulating and pressing ALT-J with subsurf:

For anyone,specially beginners who wants help in php,html…etc follow this account on facebook, and send a message with your issue you will get a help.

also soon, in this account their will be lessons + free script php and free script for security and hacking

don’t forget to subscribe :slight_smile:

note: you can send your question in Arabic or English or French

https://www.facebook.com/walid.nacer25i