{Alpha Demo} The Garden - A barebones RPG

Aloha! I want to thank everyone who has supported this project over the last 2 years. With your help, we were able to release our alpha demo exactly 2 years from the opening of this project. There is so much more to do and I am looking forward to working with all of you. Onward to beta!

With the release of our alpha demo, we are looking for testers to play and report the game performance on your machine.

The Garden alpha demo <— click here for access to the executables (178+ MB compressed)
The Garden development files
<— click here for access to the development files

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: 2.66 GHz or better processor
GPU: 1GB dedicated memory (only tested with NVIDIA)
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HDD: 700MB available space

The Garden is a simple point and click planet exploration game. You play as a lone “human” on the ocean planet Kai Nui. The object is for the player to travel the planet and discover everything for the first time to create the Encyclopedia’s of Elements, Flora, and Fauna. The main game play is a free roaming scavenger hunt to complete the encyclopedias, with travel abilities gained from element discoveries. There is no exp, combat, weapons, items, or quests.

Control Scheme
The Garden uses a standard WASD control scheme with mouse look for the main game play and menu navigation.
W: move forward
A: move left
S: move backward
D: move right
F: enter/exit flight mode (walk)
Space: jump (walk), ascend (fly, swim)
Left Shift: descend (fly, swim)
Left Control: toggle run in walk mode, toggle swim fast in swim mode, toggle fly fast in flight mode
Mouse: mouselook/rotate, right click to toggle between 1st and 3rd person

reserved!!

reserved!!

I have updated the video and .blend file, which now has only 1 semi textured island to explore. The other islands are under construction and will be added as I complete them.

I have updated the .blend to include a simple buoyancy mechanic for swimming across the ocean to the other islands.

I have completed the terrain modeling am now working on a streaming terrain technique.

don’t know if it is me that are just slow, or if it is missing from your description. so as I’m to lazy and tiered to go trough it all agen i’ll better ask you about it, So I noticed that you are having an rly big map/area, but weren’t able to se if you are using any kind of LOD on it? bco your project looks nice, but if you aren’t using any LOD i think you will get trouble when filling the terrain up whit items :slight_smile:

Please remember that this thread is to share the progress of this project. If you have questions about it or want to discuss it, please post them in the thread over in the Team Projects forum.

completely revamped the LOD and dynamic terrain system, posted screens showing progress.

Here are a few more screens showing some progress on the terrain texturing. I am using a node set up to texture according to RGB vertex colors.

node set up
/uploads/default/original/4X/5/7/6/576702349093a88ff41b8f2ce8184cda420bb0d0.pngd=1392796300&thumb=1

RGB vertex colors
/uploads/default/original/4X/c/7/3/c738d018d907927eae5bd08bd5365cf2e6122e00.pngd=1392796346&thumb=1

texture splatting result
/uploads/default/original/4X/f/e/1/fe1c4421f2ffa5dbfa6e0de7fc1553aeec853dbb.jpgd=1392796389&thumb=1

Added a short video of the game engine running with a textured island.

Blend file updated

blend file and demo video updated

updated video and demo file

updated demo video and .blend file

Very nice work!
How do you make the character outline? With duplicated meshes?

Thank you for the support, the outline is created with a 2d filter via a python controller.

Can you show to me this script? I tried with one, but it works bad.

Sure, here is the script that I use;

uniform sampler2D bgl_RenderedTexture;
    uniform sampler2D bgl_DepthTexture;

void main()
    {
       float depth = texture2D( bgl_DepthTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).r;
       float depth2 = texture2D( bgl_DepthTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].xy + vec2(0,0.002)).r;
       float depth3 = texture2D( bgl_DepthTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].xy + vec2(0.002,0)).r;

float fac = abs(depth-depth2) + abs(depth-depth3);

float intensity = 1000;

vec4 sub = vec4(fac*intensity,fac*intensity,fac*intensity,0);

gl_FragColor = texture2D( bgl_RenderedTexture, gl_TexCoord[0].xy ) - sub;
    }

This screen shows how you connect it to the camera;

And here is the .blend;
ToonCamera1.blend (292 KB)

But, with this script, when I am near to the character, the faces becomes flat!
Is possible to avoid this horrible effect?