{Alpha Demo} The Garden - A barebones RPG

Aloha! I want to thank everyone who has supported this project over the last 2 years. With your help, we were able to release our alpha demo exactly 2 years from the opening of this project. There is so much more to do and I am looking forward to working with all of you. Onward to beta!

With the release of our alpha demo, we are looking for volunteers to help move us towards a beta demo. Testers, designers, and 2D/3D artists are most welcome. In fact, you are all welcome! Feel free to drop in and offer advice or ask questions.
I will answer any questions you may have about the development of this project, so please feel free to ask.

That being said, allow me to keep this really simple and present a brief game design outline:

The Garden alpha demo <ā€” click here for access to the executables (178+ MB compressed)
The Garden development files
<ā€” click here for access to the development files

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: 2.66 GHz or better processor
GPU: 1GB dedicated memory (only tested with NVIDIA)
RAM: 3GB DDR2
HDD: 700MB available space

The Garden is a simple point and click planet exploration game. You play as a lone ā€œhumanā€ on the ocean planet Kai Nui. The object is for the player to travel the planet and discover everything for the first time to create the Encyclopediaā€™s of Elements, Flora, and Fauna. The main game play is a free roaming scavenger hunt to complete the encyclopedias, with travel abilities gained from element discoveries. There is no exp, combat, weapons, items, or quests.

Art Style
The Garden will follow a cel shaded, non photo realistic art style. A perfect example is the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai games.

Control Scheme
The Garden uses a standard WASD control scheme with mouse look for the main game play and menu navigation.
W: move forward
A: move left
S: move backward
D: move right
F: enter/exit flight mode (walk)
Space: jump (walk), ascend (fly, swim)
Left Shift: descend (fly, swim)
Left Control: toggle run in walk mode, toggle swim fast in swim mode, toggle fly fast in flight mode
Mouse: mouselook/rotate, right click to toggle between 1st and 3rd person

HUD

The Garden has 2 HUD features;

1. A ā€œDiscernment Meterā€ that activates when new discoveries are in range. Available in FP mode only.
  2. A very simple 2 box menu, vertically split. The left box is the current encyclopedia, with a list of discoveries. The right box is a picture and description of each discovery.

There are no other HUD features, no life bar, no mana bar, no mini map, no hot keys, nothing.

The 6 island groups of Kai Nui.pdf

Encyclopedia of Elements

1. Shadow
  • Colors: Black & Violet
  • Size: 10 cm to 1 m
  • Description: Shadow Mana is a natural vacuum that will absorb any matter that gets near it. It has a pitch black core and long black tendril like arms that spiral out from the core.
  1. Light
  • Color: White
  • Size: 10 cm - 1 m
  • Description: Light Mana is an orb of wispy light. It emanates a soft white glow that carries a variety of healing porperties.
  1. Fire
  • Colors: Red & Amber
  • Description: Fire Mana is an orb of raging flames. It emits an intense heat that makes it hard to approach.
  1. Water
  • Colors: Blue & Silver
  • Description: Water Mana is a swirling vortex of water and ice. Its swirling waters will freeze over in subzero temperatures or at high altitudes.
  1. Earth
  • Colors: Grey, Green, & Brown
  • Description: Earth Mana is a mass of iron, dirt, and grass. It has an irregular shape that will vary greatly.
  1. Sky
  • Colors: Sky Blue
  • Description: Sky Mana is a mini storm cloud that surges with raw energy. It can produce hurricane force winds and severe lightning storms.

Encyclopedia of Flora

LOD/Polygon Budget;

• Full detail: 400-700 triā€™s
  • Low detail: 100-400 triā€™s
  • Sprite: 2-100 triā€™s
  • Invisible: 1 vertex

Size reference (1 BU = 1 meter, maximum bounding box size = W x L x H);

• minute: 0 BU, minute flora are represented as a surface texture.
  • small: .5 x .5 x .5
  • short: 1.4 x 1.4 x .7
  • medium: 3 x 3 x 2
  • large: 10 x 10 x 4
  • long: 5 x 5 x 5+
  • tall: 50 x 50 x 50
  • gigantic: 100 x 100 x 100+

Texture guidelines;

• minute-short: 256x256
  • medium-gigantic: 512x512
  • use a smaller size for low detail materials
  • use a larger size for high detail materials
  • use .png format
  1. Shadow flora;
  • Void Mushrooms: A minute, non-edible fungus that only grows from decaying flora and fauna. This fungus appears on decaying matter and will spread to consume its host and convert it back into pure mana. When the host is no more, Void Mushrooms begin to consume themselves until they too are converted into pure mana.
  • Nightshade Shrub: A medium, edible shrub that produces a lustrous black, rose shaped flower. The flower can be used to induce sleep and enhance dreams. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows in abundance.
  • Nightstalker Bush: A large, edible shrub that produces a grape like fruit and a lustrous black, bell shaped flower. The fruit and flower can be used to increase perception and enhance meditation. It grows in every location on Kai Nui, however the flower is only visible at night.
  1. Light flora;
  • Glowing Grass: A minute grass that constantly glows with a soft white light. The light it emits has curative properties and can heal most injuries or ailments. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows in abundance.
  • Radiant Bramble: A medium, edible shrub that produces a cherry like fruit and a brilliant white, hibiscus shaped flower. It radiates a bright white light when others are near. The fruit and flower can be used to cure any ailment. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows sparsely.
  • Sun Tree: A tall tree whose leaves, fruits, and flowers are made of Light Mana. It produces an orange like fruit and a brilliant white, sun shaped flower. The fruit and flower can be used to heal any injury or cure any ailment. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows sparsely.
  1. Fire flora;
  • Burning Fern: A short, non-edible fern that looks like burning coal. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows sparsely.
  • Blazing Brier: A large, non-edible bush that produces torch like flowers made of Fire Mana. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows moderately.
  • Inferno Tree: A tall tree whose leaves, fruits, and flowers are made of Fire Mana. It produces an apple like fruit and a blood red, torch shaped flower. The fruit and flowers can be used to induce rage and increase physical strength. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows sparsely.
  1. Water flora;
  • Permafrost Grass: A minute grass that is constantly frozen and produces a thin layer of fog. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows in moderation. It grows in soil at high altitudes.
  • Sea Creeper: A long, edible vine that produces a radiant blue, lily shaped flower. The flowers can be used to enhance stamina. It grows abundantly under the surface of any ocean, lake, or river.
  • Winter Tree: A tall tree whose leaves, fruit, and flowers are made of Water Mana. It produces a clear, apple like fruit and a transparent, shimmering, snow flake shaped flower. The fruit and flower only grow at high altitude and can be used to increase stamina. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows abundantly in soil.
  1. Earth flora;
  • Stone Mold: A short, edible fungus that grows abundantly from living rocks. It produces an edible mushroom that increases constitution.
  • Gold Shrub: A medium, non-edible shrub that produces a shiny gold, plumeria like flower. The petals are made from 100% pure gold. It is endemic to its geographic region, where it grows moderately.
  • Iron Treeā€‹: A gigantic tree whose bark, leaves, flowers, and fruit are made from Earth Mana. It produces an onyx, gem like fruit and small plumeria shaped flower. The fruit can be used to increase constitution. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows abundantly.
  1. Sky flora;
  • Floating Fern: A large, edible fern that only grows on clouds. It can be used to enhance Dexterity. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows moderately.
  • Zephyr Bush: A medium, edible bush that produces a rotating pinwheel like flower made of Sky Mana. The flowers give off a gentle breeze and can be used to enhance Dexterity. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows moderately.
  • Gale Treeā€‹: A tall tree whose leaves, fruit, and flower are made of Sky Mana. It produces a transparent yellow, berry like fruit and a clear, vortex shaped flower. The fruit can be used to increase Dexterity. The flower gives off a strong gale when others are near. It is endemic to its geographic location, where it grows abundantly.
  1. Neutral flora;
  • Radiant Rainbow Mushroom: A fungus that glows in the dark. It produces a medium mushroom of varying colors. It grows abundantly in caves and forests.
  • Braid Grass: A short grass whose blades intertwine to form braids. It grows sparsely in soil at any altitude.
  • Broadleaf Dwarf Fern: A short fern with broad leaves that grows in dense groups. It grows moderately in rocky land at low altitude.
  • Greenwood Oak Tree: A gigantic tree with very dense foliage that blocks out light. It grows moderately in soil or rocky land at low to medium altitude.
  • Redwood Willow Tree: A gigantic tree with tendril like branches and long vine like leaves. It grows moderately in soil or rock land at low to medium altitude.
  • Whitewood Pine Tree: A gigantic tree that is shaped like a cone. It grows moderately in soil at medium to high altitude.
  • Giant Palm Tree: A gigantic palm tree. It grows abundantly in soil or sand at low altitude.

Downloaded, pressed ā€˜Pā€™ and got ā€˜Not Respondingā€™. Same thing happens if I open it and click objects (without pressing P)

My guess why this happened is because it has a massive amount of verts; 858,050!
My PC Specs (running Blender 2.65)

Also I think you should add screenshots / video of the game in the first post.

alien trees.blend (1.51 MB)Hereā€™s an alien tree.

Well I can certainly say your rig is appropriately named as I am quite envious of it. I canā€™t say why it is not working though, my desktop isnā€™t the best, although I have upgraded the GPU. I am getting a very respectable 30 fps with these initial tests, and I am sure I can optimize it quite a bit and squeeze out another 20 fps. In any case I appreciate the feedback and I am working on a simple video, which will be ready in the next couple hours.

Thank you very much, I will be sure to use this when the time comes. Feel free to submit any other assets you want.

Here is another one.http://www.pasteall.org/blend/23563

How about have all the life on land come from the sea.I donā€™t want them to evolve because evolution would be too slow.The life from the sea comes to populate the land yearly.Birds have three beaks and some can walk on water.I believe there should be time limits for searching for each group of elements.

Thank you for your contributions, I will be sure to use these. I get what you are saying about the fauna coming from the sea, however I would like to keep the first version of this as simple as possible. The idea is to have a simple planet with a diverse environment, each with its own diverse flora and fauna. I want to keep it ā€œno frillsā€ until we have a working beta version, then we can add little quirks to the environment, elements, flora, and fauna. Eventually there will be certain things you can only find during certain times, or in areas you canā€™t get to until you have found the proper element.

I have no specific guidelines for how the elements, flora, and fauna have to look, so feel free to make a 3 beaked bird that walks on water, as long as it looks good and will be reasonably easy to animate.

I updated to the newest Blender version (2.68a) and it worked, just thought Iā€™d let you know.

Thank you for taking a look, do you have any pro tips I can use?

I have made a minor update and added a new demo video. As you will see, there is still a long way to go, but at least it has some color now. I am also working on getting this node texturing method integrated, but I am having quite a bit of trouble. If anyone out there can help me figure it out, I would appreciate it.

I have updated the demo to include a toon shader and posted a new video with a new .blend file. The shader adds a black outline on everything, which you can barley see in the video. The current demo has only 1 semi textured island, with more to be added as they are completed. I am sorry about the poor quality, it loses quite a bit of integrity when uploaded to YouTube.

I have updated the .blend to include a buoyancy mechanic for crossing the ocean to other islands. It is really rudimentary at the moment, but will eventually serve as the swimming mechanic.

I will be on vacation for the next 13 days, so there wonā€™t be any updates until after I get back. I will be able to answer questions or discuss any aspect of this project while I am away, so feel free to ask or offer any advice you may have.

I am not good at rigging.I can design characters somewhat but not rig them.

I have some experience with rigging, so unless we get someone who wants to pitch in on that, I will do most of the rigging and animation. I will be keeping everything quite simple for now, with a simple walking/swimming/flying and idle animation for the fauna. Feel free to put on your creative character design hat and come up with some unique inhabitants for this planet.

The same goes for everyone else reading or following this project, submit any characters or creatures you want. We want as much participation as possible from the community, so please contribute in any way you can. Although this game is quite simple, it is still a pretty ambitious project. I have plans to build an RPG or two off the foundation we set with the building of this world and its inhabitants. In the mean time, we will remain as simple as possible to keep the completion of this project in sight.

Does anyone have any thoughts about creating a flight mode for use in this project? I intend to make flying a method of travel and was wondering how you might accomplish this. I need a break from modeling and I am hoping this question stirs up my thoughts a bit so I can stop dreaming about tris and quads.

Whenever you show me an update on what you are doing.Then i will continue with the project.Until then i will continue with my spacetravel firstpersonshooter.It is similar to Halo but with different gameplay mechanics.And it is a openworld game with solar systems and planet sized environments.

882 quadrants? That is a lot of polygons. How do you plan saving all that data?
Why dont you use procedural functions? Or bake the maps into a file format? I baked 64(64X64polys) maps into about 1.5kb file.
In any case, the way your planet will look will depend on the gameā€™s gameplay!

Keep it up, Iā€™m interested to see what it becomes!

For a project of this size, you need python!
Itā€™s extremely hard to make it work at the very least.
I started where you are now. So here are my advice:

1. Logic bricks: Make a lower poly planet, then add terrain features to the ground to represent mountains, forests, etc. The ground should control caves, rivers, oceans. Use a hair particle system to spread the terrain features spawners! Just an idea!

2. Learn python: Break your project down into systems, make each system a project of its own! We help you through all the steps, till you can put things together on your own. Thatā€™s the way I took!

Thank you very much for the support. I am still a beginner with python, but thatā€™s part of the reason I am undertaking this project. I am having a great deal of fun trying to solve the problems my project faces, and really learning python has been the most fun so far. I still have a long way to go and I hope it as much fun as the journey has been so far.