Aliens Fan Game - Post BGMC

I was tossing up between Aliens and Lord Of The Rings, but I decided against LOTR due to the fact of how extensive the film is and how difficult it would be to do it justice in a fan based game, so instead I decided to go with Aliens.

I hope to be able to produce a retro top down sci-fi horror based game (lots of words there XD) based around a second group of marines sent to the planet Acheron (LV-426) on a “burn” mission to destroy the alien species… thats all :slight_smile:

Hopefully I’ll have some ground work up by tomorrow afternoon, can’t do too much today as I have exams tomorrow, but after that I’m in the clear and can work on this!

Interesting choice, I can’t wait to play it. Good luck !

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

With my exams finished today I was able to start putting time into the project :smiley: I started thinking about how I want the game to play and stuck with my top down shooter approach. Managed to spit out a couple decent sci-fi textures and created the mechanics of the player himself (with a fancy mouselook :evilgrin:) all he is missing is GUI, Ammo + Health and Sound but that should be done within the next hour or so…
(THANK GOD I’M GOING FOR A RETRO STYLE MAKING GOOD TEXTURES IS HELL XD)

P.S It ain’t a real sci-fi unless it has blue glowly stuff, thank god I got that in :RocknRoll:

P.S.S screenshots don’t exactly do this little marine justice :stuck_out_tongue: so take a look at the blend file if you have time and perhaps offer any feedback on control issues etc… ;D

Controls:
WASD - movement
Mouse - look around
Left Mouse Button - Pew Pew Pew

Attachments

Base.blend (592 KB)

Player Mechanics are now completely finished :smiley:

I used Moguri’s bgui library to add a health bar and ammo counter to the character (YAY MY FIRST PROPER GUI :D)
Added sound effects to the player (gunshots, damage) and ambient background sound (from alien movies)
Added blood effects when hit
Created a few more textures
Set up appropriate physics for bullets

Now all that is left is the creation of the aliens :evilgrin: which I aim to finish in ~1-2 days. After that the game should be roughly completed enough (mechanically) to begin designing levels, so hopefully I will manage to pull this through to completion.

P.S make sure if you are to use the blend file you disable mip-maps through File -> User-Preferences -> System

Attachments

Aliens.zip (5.07 MB)

Looking really good there so far :slight_smile:

Wow, really awesome Player Mechanics, would be interesting to use this for fun stuff later!

Unfortunately it seems this project will not be finished by the end of this BGMC.
I still have to draw up ~10 alien sprites (which will be animated) and design levels + code some extra things. I had hoped to get most of this done today and tomorrow but I decided to go out with some mates over this weekend.

Hopefully I can manage to get the aliens + their programming into the game before the end of the competition but I guess I will just have to see how I go time wise.

It’s a shame because I was rather eager to finish this in the allotted time period but nonetheless I plan on finishing it later either way.

Did you manage to add the aliens?

The game has a good atmosphere, but my player feels pretty alone.

I started drawing up the alien sprites yesterday and I have pretty much finished most of the animations it will go through :smiley: I will add them in soon and hopefully the player can have a bit more company :wink:

P.S It ain’t a real sci-fi unless it has blue glowly stuff, thank god I got that in

Yeah! hahaha…

I know the BGMC is now over but I really want to push through and finish this game, I won’t be starting a new thread for this just changing the thread title to Aliens Fan Game… anyway I finished:

• creating the alien sprite (with its crappy 3 tile walk cycle :stuck_out_tongue: )
  • added a lot of sound effects from the movie
  • fixed a font issue where you couldn’t
  • path finding for aliens
  • a touch up here and there i.e blood, lighting

The game is pretty close to completion, all that is left to do is design levels so hopefully I will be finished soon

P.S if you want to use any of the textures I made feel free to do so, I have included them in the resources zip I uploaded below

Attachments

Resources.zip (6.36 MB)Game.zip (5.53 MB)

Really fun game to play, till I ran out of ammo.
The Aliens pixels and the characters don’t match, it feels like they’re from different games.

The version I played from the BGMC blog did not have any aliens in it, but the sounds and effects were quite good. The Aliens movies are some of the best sci-fi movies out there IMO. If you would have put in Bill Paxton’s line, “game over man, game over”, I would have voted for your game just based on that.

Good luck with this project.

Good idea of your game!