The Devil

Hi everybody

I’d like to show you my last model, started as a sketch of a very muscle cartoony character, and ended in this way, a sort of final premiation for a carnival competition.
Blender for modeling and rendering, gimp for final composition.
Hope you like it!

wooow!! very good job in modeling rendering and composition.

Haha! I love the modeling on this one. And the theme is very funny. Great job!

Maybe it could use a tiny bit of asymmetry. :slight_smile:

Terrific work. Love it.

Yes, this work is great! What an interesting combination of both humor and strangeness!

Was this all polygon modeling, or did you use any of the sculpting tools as well? The anatomy is great to look at.

I love the hands, and the pot belly on his hugely muscular frame. I think it still manages to look somewhat natural though (maybe not the legs, but obviously this is not intended to be a “natural” looking image!)

I applaud you on your lighting and scene as well! The confetti is a nice touch. I assume this is some sort of pageant contest, am I correct? Even with the whip and very tiny outfit, the setting feels much more cheery and inviting than, say, an adult nightclub.

Lastly, I think the face is very interesting. When viewed in the above color images, the Devil’s face is quite exuberant and overall happy and warm. But when viewed in the B&W image, with it’s different lighting, it is downright creepy. We don’t know what the make of him in this image, or what his thoughts or intentions may me, despite the fact that his face hasn’t changed at all! Only the lighting. Anyway, I thought that was interesting.

A truly terrific piece of work, StefanoCiarr!

You just gotta love this guy… he cracks me up. Unique and really well done.

My five cents,
LOL
Excellent work. And, very funny which is great.

James Candy, what a brilliant assessment as a compliment to a brilliant model. I’m sorry to say I completely overlooked the lighting as you mentioned it, that’s good it did not slip past you as well. Thanks for that.

I like how the whole composition makes light of a serious butt-munch of a crazy, violent nut-job such as that one. It’s a great caricature of a serious issue which has many severe consequences attached to it, yet I doubt that this would frighten or offend even the most devout and superstitious of all religious people.

Well done, it’s awesome.

Exceptional work. Really loved it.

A well deserved toprow.
Bad choice on the thumbnail.

Looks great! I love the concept.

I was like wow and then I saw the high heels and well, what I was thinking isn’t allowed on these forums but great job on every aspect

lol nice work

Nice high heels :slight_smile:

Seriously fun. Reminds me somehow a lot of the genie in Disney’s Aladdin, but without copying him. Pure absurdity, and “absurdity” is hard to pull-off successfully.

Hmmm… reminds me of something but can’t quit put my finger on it.

Thank you very much for your congrats, I really (really!) appreciate them, and I must admit, they were quite unexpected !
Anyway I think the image could be a bit better with a touch of asimmetry, but the body of the model is a tris only mesh from dynamic topology, so is a bit hard to deform it in the correct way. But now I think I found a way with a decimated version of the model, remeshed in quad, deformed by a simple rig and used to deform the original mesh via MeshDeform.
I think I’ll use this method in the next model.
I think it’s normal that this image remind something, it’s “just” a particular version of the classic cartoony short legged body builder .
I add other render from other point of view, especially from the back cause I think it’s quite funny!
Thanks again!

p.s. is there a way to change the wrong thumb in the top row???

lol, really funny, great choice of colors. congratulation to top row! and really nice anatomy on the legs!

Very well done, but I’m not sure I get a lot of it. He’s a muscular cross-dresser into BDSM, in some sort of pageant, and he’s also the devil? And his exercise routine only burns calories and builds muscle…well, everywhere except his belly? I may be in the minority here, and again, really well done technically speaking, but in terms of the image itself, the artwork aspect, there are a lot of questions here which may or may not have answers, and that in itself is ok, but for me, it’s very confusing. I just don’t have any idea of…wait for it…what the hell is going on.

I have a 4 year degree in fine art, so I’ve been in many discussions concerning art, composition, subject etc. This does not make me more or less qualified to opine here. It simply gives me the experience to say that if this image were up for critique in a college art class, it would spark a lot of debate, which may or may not be a good thing.

I think this guy would work better not as the devil, but as a comic book character with some sort of back story. I know as an observer of art, it is up to the viewer to provide his or her own interpretation and back story, but to me this is a technically excellent piece which leaves me hanging, story wise.

Great work! thanks for sharing!
desserves a 30cm 3D printing!:eyebrowlift: