BGMC 10 | I am Legend

Ok so I decided to make a game based on the movie I Am Legend. I still don’t know what kind of a game it will be but this thread will be my WIP thread and I will update it when there’s something to show.

Good luck to everyone participating in BGMC 10 !

Update:

Download

Use WASD to walk around.
F to turn your flashlight on and off.
Right Control (Ctrl) to fire the rifle.

Samantha jumped inside a building trying to catch something. Find her and guide her out.

This will be interesting! But I swear to god if I have to kill Samantha (the dog)… :frowning:

I don’t know will I be able to make the dog, but I will try.

So far, I collected a lot of images of Will Smith and German Shepherds, found the filming location and made a few drawings of the area I want to cover in the game.

That is awesome. Its quite strange seeing film locations without all the fancy post processing, famous actors and copious cg work.

Great film to choose, best of luck :slight_smile:

It is strange.
Thanks.

I decided the game will be top-down-collect-stuff-kill-and-survive game

Good idea,at least the story of your game would not be bad.

I finally got some time to work on the game and almost finished a whole level. The game will take place in a storage/warehouse thing. Samantha has jumped inside and you must get her out.
The goal of the game will be to navigate the level carefully so I don’t want to spoil the game by revealing the whole level so here is just one room. I still need to add props.

Go go! I like your selection.

I was seriously considering doing I AM LEGEND for my game, but chances are
I would just obliterate the movie and it’s awesomeness…

Good idea,at least the story of your game would not be bad.

Can’t help thinking that he’s insulting your game… :confused:
Then again, says he lives in China (I think…) probably didn’t mean it like that xD

Haha, I don’t think it was an insult, but who knows.

I hope to finish the game on time, there are still 2 days left and a lot of work. The visuals haven’t changed so I have nothing to show but there is a bit more interaction now. I still need to fix some collision issues and enemy AI.

With only one day left I think I’ll have to choose between animations and HUD/Menus.

I wont have any more time today so the download is in the first post.

This looks aweome but the download link is broken :(, i realy wana play.

I was almost positive that this game would run slowly, but it didn’t!!
For once, I was able to enjoy a high-quality game that ran at a playable speed :]

It was fun, the walking animation is cool and I love the music!!
But it was pretty hard… couldn’t find the damn dog :[

This game lacks ammo cartriges that you can find.I think it would be funner with them.Especially because it is so dark.

I think it is a good game. The game transfers the dirty and bleak atmosphere to the player pretty well. Highlight are the very good models, textures and animations.

The only thing that does not fit is the choice of the music :(. It seems a bit contrary to the rest of the game. The sounds on the other hand are very good.

Over all a very good game with a nice level … I didn’t find the dog either, ran out of amo and accidently switched off the light ( twice) :wink:

Downloaded the game, played it, died a lot (only 7 bullets?!) but eventually found Samantha, it’s a good game, but I agree with Monster

Also I had to change the shoot button, how am I supposed to use wasd + right ctrl + mouse? (I don’t have 3 hands!) :o

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Downloaded the game, played it, died a lot (only 7 bullets?!) but eventually found Samantha, it’s a good game, but I agree with Monster
Also I had to change the shoot button, how am I supposed to use wasd + right ctrl + mouse? (I don’t have 3 hands!)

You don’t need 3 hands XD
Its just WASD to walk, F for flashlight and Ctrl to shoot.
I know that music doesn’t fit the atmosphere but its from the movie and helps to connect the game to it.

This looks aweome but the download link is broken , i realy wana play.

Thanks, I checked the download link and it works fine, try again.

I was almost positive that this game would run slowly, but it didn’t!!For once, I was able to enjoy a high-quality game that ran at a playable speed :]

It was fun, the walking animation is cool and I love the music!!
But it was pretty hard… couldn’t find the damn dog :[

Thanks for calling it a HQ game :smiley:
I actually had to write a script to move the lights to nearest windows because it was too slow.
The game is intentionally hard because I couldn’t make a big long game. There is one way trough the building that you can go without getting seen, any other way is harder.
I’m glad you liked the music, its the song from the movie !

This game lacks ammo cartriges that you can find.I think it would be funner with them.Especially because it is so dark.

The lack of ammo is because in the movie the character has to save ammo, and the dark is because its a place where the Dark Seekers hide :slight_smile:

I think it is a good game. The game transfers the dirty and bleak atmosphere to the player pretty well. Highlight are the very good models, textures and animations.

The only thing that does not fit is the choice of the music . It seems a bit contrary to the rest of the game. The sounds on the other hand are very good.

Over all a very good game with a nice level … I didn’t find the dog either, ran out of amo and accidently switched off the light ( twice)

Thank you very much. I wanted to add some grass and stuff on the ground but there was no time.
That song is from the movie, I tried to make it quieter than other sounds to avoid distraction.

You can see the dog in wireframe mode and then play again.

Postmortem ?

Postmortem normally means “after death” (when forensic doctors examine the death cause etc. of a dead body). However when the word is used in the gaming world it means that developers analyze their finished game and reflect on everything they did during its creation. Basically they talk about what went right and what went wrong.

What went right

• Planing stage was pretty good. I had the general idea within hours of watching the movie again. Usually this stage sentences my project to death because I plan too far ahead or just want to make something too complex. This time I decided to focus on something smaller but denser.
  • Research. Making a game based on anything takes some research and for this project it was a lot of fun to see all the shooting locations, behind the scenes footage and photos. I collected all reference images for modeling and texturing during research.
  • Modeling. Not to say that my models are great, but they get the message across with minimal detail. I spent only about 2 hours modeling and texturing each model.
  • Texturing. During the research phase I collected a lot of reference photos and because of that texturing was fast and efficient. I just projected images and painted them on the model.
  • Sounds. I was lucky to find Public Domain sounds that fit the game pretty well.
  • Lighting. Blender does not like large numbers of lights, so I had to bake some light and make a script to move other lights. In the end it worked pretty good.

What went wrong

• Time management. I tried to dedicate time to each task but didn’t get the ratios right. The game would benefit greatly from some foliage and trash on the floors, better animations and some UI.
  • Modeling was fast but I should have added more detail to joints for better deformations. Enemies also need more detail on their heads to look “alive”. The exit doors are just a green plane, I should have made a real door. The initial level model had the outside as well because I planed to make a short cutscene that shows Samantha jumping trough the window but was deleted later because of time.
  • Texturing. A lot of detail was lost because I deleted some files while cleaning the folder so I had to use older versions.
  • Animations. There are just 2 animations in the game, walking and dying. The armature I used was in my Blender for quite some time and that animation was on it. I planed to redo the animation but didn’t have time in the end. The game would be much better if enemies had an animation while idle and the dying animation should be better. Not to mention that the dog has no animations, I decided not to make them because the dog will be behind you so you wont see him.
  • Shooting. When you shoot you hear a sound and you see a light, some times. I didn’t know how to make the light appear and disappear later so I used a quick hack. It didn’t work so good.
  • UI. The last thing I wanted to make where some menus and win/lose screens but other more important things had to be done first and UI got pushed to the side.
  • Gameplay. Some of you probably wont like the game, but for me it really captures the emotion I felt while watching the movie. The problem is that the goal is not clear unless you read the forum post, even then you don’t know where is the exit and if you find it, the win screen wont appear.
  • Music. I wanted to use a song from the movie and I did, but it doesn’t fit the mood of the game very well and for people who didn’t watch the movie its simply stupid.

Conclusion
I am quite happy with how the game turned out. Its far from finished or good but its on the right path. Time management is something I should work on in the future. Research was a lot of fun and made me connect with the game more then expected, its something I will dedicate more time in future projects. Looking back, it could have been better but I like it and I consider it a success.

Thanks for reading and hopefully you will share as well.

Personally I liked the song, it reminds me of the way horror movies will use a “Cheerful song”.
You could look at using normal background horror sounds and at a scary moment start to play that song.