[WIP] Volt Rifle

Hello Guys, I’m Joaquin Montero.

You can skip the following part if you want to :slight_smile:

>>>>>>>>>>>> My Story <<<<<<<<<<<

I’ll tell you a little about me. I started modelling some years ago, when I decided to make maps for Halo (which are modelled on Max), but quickly left it, becouse of constant compile errors with geometry and stuff.

I found myself alone, with almost null knowledge of any modelling program, and a 900mb program that was “wasting” space. Then, I started to look for tutorials (as I frequently do, when I don’t know how to do something). I started learning. Finally, after a week (or more) of hard work, I created a very low poly pistol model (deleted it later :(). But then, I started to get bored of Max and uninstalled it. And then, my time was mainly occupied by school and videogames. And one day (a week ago), I found Blender, and I’m falling in love with it. I think it’s very easy to work on it after you get on the right foot.

That’s my story.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>----<<<<<<<<<<<<<

So, this is my third model in Blender. I will post updates as I progress.

Here’s my sketch (left side):
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1185516_145379645670282_1514878772_n.jpg

Cheers,
-joatoche (Joaquin Montero)

Interesting design. Curious why you are calling it a a bolt action?
It has many features much more associated with bull pups and sub machine guns.

I call it a bolt action rifle becouse it fires volts (little mistake there). I know, the design is very close to SMGs. It’s kind of a sniper rifle. My idea is to put batteries on that square above the grip. Of course, that sketch isn’t the final design, but it’s a start. Also, I wanted to give the rifle a bit of a futuristic/sci-fi style. The scope was based on the rifle in the movie “Oblivion”.

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/c6/OblivionRifle.jpg/601px-OblivionRifle.jpg

PD: After searching for “Bolt-Action Rifle” on Wikipedia, I noticed that the name isn’t very accurate.

Thanks for your feedback,

Also, I’m thinking of redoing the sketch in my computer, so I can edit it more quickly, and get a more clear reference image.

I second that - the design looks good, but it doesn’t look like a bolt action rifle.

Ah ok, so a shoulder fired railgun then. Now I am with you.

Ok, finally some progress.

Yep. It’s kind of a mix between a railgun and a Halo DMR (google it). The only difference is that it has less power and faster firing speed. It’s meant to be used in medium to long range.

It’s firing speed is similar to a M1 Garand.

Here’s the second sketch:

Grip is now on front, and the magazine is behind it. The gun must be holded with both hands on the grip, just like a pistol.
Gotta have a better look at the sketch, if it’s ok, then I will use it as the reference for the model.}

PD: Post approval is no longer needed! Yay!

Looking similar to the IWI TAVOR I like it.

Woohah! Decided to use the 2nd sketch. Going to start modeling as soon as I get to my desktop (Blender doesn’t work on my netbook :mad:). Meanwhile, I could organize the modelling a bit.

As the model will be used for a game (hopefully), I will have to split it in parts, so that I can animate it properly. The parts will be (which probably change later):

1. Beam focuser
  2. Grip & trigger
  3. Battery & reciever
  4. Scope
  5. Butt

Barrel and Focuser (same object):

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/621728_145477142327199_1262576174_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1172755_145477908993789_1384632161_o.jpg

Good start but I would recommend blocking in each of the moving pieces first to see what you can use textures on.
If you don’t you may end up with to many faces to be usable in a game engine. Keep it coming.

Sorry, could you explain? I’m still a newbie.

I think what he means is you should do the complete gun’s block-out first (only very simple geometry to see how the proportions work, etc) before you go into detailing and high/low-poly geometry.

Thanks, I will check that out!

Yes, thank you Analdin.

But, shouldn’t the reference model help me with the proportions? If you mean the model size, then I can fix that by finding Source’s model scale (the model is going to be used in the Source Engine).

Also, as the only moving part will be the trigger (which still could be stupid, becouse it will be most likely outside of the FOV (field of view), is blocking still necessary?

Watch what this guy does for this model of the FN SCAR.

I always do a “pass” over the complete model with only very simple geometry, especially with cars, but also with other technical stuff, it really helps to keep your focus on the overall shape instead of running into details way too early. If you want to skip that, you can do it, I’ve done that too, but the result was (for me) that the mesh was much harder to make and sometimes the outcome just wouldn’t fit.

Second that. I consistently shoot myself in the foot by getting too caught up in details before I have the general shape done. It’s always worth it to do a quick rough draft of your model first.

Thanks, everything is more clear now!

*Going to do the shape block in another layer just to test…