Discovery - BG Competition

Hey everyone! This is my WIP thread for my entry into BlenderGuru’s Ancient Civilization Competition!

My entry is focused on the Viking civilization, still piecing together what I want exactly but I have a rough idea I’m following.

I’ll be posting updates of everything (materials, models and such), so It may look like a bunch of random stuff but hopefully it will all come together in the end :slight_smile:

Feedback and critique are always welcomed (and needed!), thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoy and good luck to everyone else competing!

Updated Shield:

Ocean:

Looks nice! so far

Looks nice so far, but I would suggest not relying so heavily on textures for your shield. Try modelling the wooden planks that make up the shield so that it has more depth. Also a normal map for the knots in the wood would help. For the metal of the shield I think using the metal texture as a reflection map would make it more realistic. Good luck!

Thanks, glad you like it so far :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion, I agree the texturing isn’t the greatest and ill take what you said and try to give it a go! :slight_smile:

Haven’t had too much time lately to work on, but I was able to work on it a bit today and fix up the shield. I think it looks a bit better than before!

Newest attempt at a shield :smiley: let me know what you think!