My Blender Guru Competition entry "WIP"

So for the BG competition Ancient Civilization I have decided to do something historical from my country "The First Albanian School ". I will try to update this thread as much as I can :eyebrowlift:

Current Progress 

(Comment what do you think about this camera angel)

Story of the school | http://www.inyourpocket.com/albania/korca/Sightseeing/Museums/First-Albanian-School_35793v
(School’s photo)

I added some other things and here is a wire render…

Suggestions are welcomed :slight_smile:

(I am working for the materials )

Looks nice

Thank you :slight_smile:

looks promising so far.

the topology looks very messy! other than that it looks good so far

Yeah, if you want to apply Subsurf, this topology won’t work. But if you intend to render the scene as-is, that topology is pretty good, I’d say.

I think you can add something on the bottom of the building like kind of stone wall and walls made of wooden planks. What you think?

Looks awesome! Though you may want to redo the tree because it really takes away from the really nice building. (Try playing around with the sapling addon more -specifically more branching and more random rotation of leaves- to get a better result) Also for the ground you may want to consider less grass as it is a school yard where you expect students to have trampled the grass to death leaving bare dirt with patches of grass. Looks great so far! Good luck!

To everybody thanks for your councils.The typology looks so messy because of the wire effect that i used for the render. It tends to make the surface look triangulated.

Yes its a good idea thanks :slight_smile:

Another render with materials and a little compositing :

(Still a WIP)

Another render

I really like it, but I’m not sure about your statue, maybe you can replace it by something like old wooden rocking horse or other play toys.

I am sorry but that is the symbol of that school and can’t be changed

I added some other things to the scene.I also edited the materials and the compositing.

I am considering the job done but i will still modify some of the textures and the compositing. If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them :slight_smile:

Great lighting and subtle comp, and apart from the obvious repeating the textures are nice too.
It just feels quite empty. Instead of trying to add detail and variation in the textures alone, add some more modeling detail: loose rocks, misc props and doodads, less perfect lines (older buildings rarely have straight lines like that and are a little warped).

Also, I’m personally not a fan of the HDR effect since the edges of the sky are over highlighted, and it looks like a really dirty canvas print but only in the sky.

I like it a lot! :slight_smile: Some thoughts; I don’t know what the real school looks like, but the house looks a bit weird with no foundation. Often the part closest to the ground is of a different material than the rest of the wall. But I saw someone already mentioning this so perhaps you just chose not to.

Also, the yellow light effect from left might be a bit much, try to dial it down, and the grass strands looks a bit thick.

I made night render of the scene “just to see how it would look”