[ADDON] EWOCprojects presents PreSel

Hi all,

Growing quickly this one; I guess itll be popular: the addon implements preselection highlighting!
(It also features its own implementation of Circle Select, with highlight and possibility to transform view and use tools while using Circle Select…)

I know Ton has been resisting this feature for years, so I created it as an addon.

It still needs more testing, be sure to let me know how you all fare with it!

EDIT : PreSel works, but due to addon speed restrictions is better not used with heavier meshes!
Especially turn subdiv modifiers off in editmode!

Download on this site.

current 2.7x version : 1.12.18
current 2.8 version : 1.13.01

2 Likes

liked the idea of this one . but it makes the little plus signs on the ‘N’ panel move . and you cant open it from the 3d view . the one on the bottom of the tools panel to . and makes long lines appear on the screen . i only got it to do anything once , i liked it when it was working but as sone as i switched windows or went to object mode and back it quit . i use alot of the tools you guys put out . not trying to fork anything but thought you would like to know . im using 2.68 r58372 . windows . the console is saying things about missing vert slide line 301 , line 279 something about"Reference Error bmesh data of type bmesh has been removed " .

Next generation version 0.2.0 online!

Now works when view limited to visible.
Now shows correct elements when using subdivision surfaces.
Now stays on when switching back and forth to object mode.
Now is faster.

version 0.2.1

fixes switching between 3dviews, but for the moment you need to click inside the view to trigger highlighting.

version 0.2.2

found out how to do automatic view switching, no more clicking inside view!

version 0.2.3

fixed bugs

Thanks very much.

hello paleajed thanks for this useful addons i have a bug

• activated presel… do some selection them switch to object mode and go back to edit mode the addon deactivated and give this errors

version 0.2.4

now highlight goes off when mouse pointer over no mesh element

fixed bug reported by kakachiex2

nicely done, thanks a lot, gonna sooo try it…!

ok worked great first time through , buuut . got this error after swiching out and back in to edit mode line 156 in modal drawhighlight() print(selected[selface], last, selface) and line 333 in drawhighlight , Key error<BMFace dead at0x0000000015CD8828> , < unknown location>:-1 ok, took it out and put it back in and works great as long as you shut it off before leaving edit mode . but still some odd behavior , switching between v,e,f , modes it’ll select many vert’s hit ‘a’ to get ride of many selected unneeded verts,only one or two in edge and good in face . woho gettin there . love this one .

@paleajed

• can you add presel to object mode to, to presel highlight object to
  • highlight the hole face not only the contour
  • add small thickness to edge and vertex

great, but I cant understand how its supposed to work, can you do a video demonstration, please?
it doesent work for me, when I enable it throught the button it gives me this errors:

in your script, line 156 in modal drawhighlight()

in your script, in line 323 in drawhighlight bpy.opsVIEW 3D.select(extend =True, toggle = False, location = 9mx, my))

in scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py, line 188, in_call_ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
TypeError:converting py args to operator properties: keyword “location” unrecognized

it highlights vertex , edge or faces in edit mode before actualy selecting anything . pretty slick add-on . i got some error’s to first day it was up, they got some stuff staightend out ON THE FIRST DAY . patience my son patience . these guy’s know there shit . check out there web site many more goodies to be had . and did i mention it’s for free . or if you like a small donation .

This is great.
I agree with kakachiex2 suggestions, especially the object mode (although maybe the edge/vertex highlight thickness could be modified by user in preferences).

Some buggy things:
-Intermittently cannot use ‘a’ button to select (or deselect) all when cursor is over an object (after hitting ‘a’ a few times it starts to work)
-With vert, edge, face modes all selected, faces do not highlight correctly
-Verts stay selected when moving quickly across surface when more than one component mode is active (verts/edges, or verts/faces)

error
line 156, modal drawhighlight
line 333, in drawhighlight
print(selected[selface], last, selface)

version 0.2.5

@ba_fjg: fixed Akey problem
will look into problems with multiple component modes (didnt test this), this will require quite some work
fixed listed error

@spirit: sorry, but cant fix this cause not enough information
when I find time Ill make a video :eyebrowlift:

@kakachiex2: dont know if object mode will be possible, Ill look into it
I think face highlight works fine with outline only, otherwise it would require much extra work
this addon is kind of a hack, thickness can NOT be set, its the same as vertex size setting

@polygonesrus: fixed bug

this is f’n great . cant wait to try it again . tommorow morning probably . wish i knew how to code . just cant get my head around it . but i’ll keep tryin . great work . thank’s . really like this add-on .

right ! ! ! , could’nt wait, had to try it out tonight , worked perfectly . i love this add-on don’t know why but i do . great job straightening the bugs out . this is amazing . so fast . i love the blender community . oh sorry when switching to vertex mode many vert’s selected . but i can deal with that . hit “a” it’s all good . long live the blender nation .

FYI - addon interferes with LoopTools Circle functionality in both edge or vertex select modes. r59008

thanks paleajed only some suggestion for better feedback