Lemons are green?

Hi!

This is my next render (350 samples) :

Can you give me some feedback about this?
You can download the .blend file on blendswap;)

edit

The leaves look too rough. They also need more translucency. It’s also easy to tell that the lemons(?) in the back are just a copy of the ones at the front, you just need to rotate the back ones some.

Add maybe a branch too. Other than that it looks pretty good.

OK on leaves, and rotating the lemons in the back
IMHO, add some yellow to the lemons.
Nice job, indeed

Except for what has already been said, I think the leaves look too thin. Are they just planes or do they have thickness already? If not you could perhaps try a solidify modifier :slight_smile:

So, your suggestions:
-use translucency for the leaves;
-rotating these fruits (and yes Mister_Figgs, they are lemons!:yes:);
-rotating a branch too;
-and now, use the solidify modifier.

Ok, except the last one (because the render started before the advice), I follow them:

If someone can post a screen shot of a good cycles material I can use for the leaves, that will be great! Tell me if you improve the render.

Only two lemons in the scene would be better.

Here a reference image:

I would add more leaves; about the material of them i would bring down a little the translucency and add some glossy. A improvement to the scene could be to add (or let be visible) some branches, as now seems like all objects are “floating” in air.

So, I tried to add some glossy to the leaves:

Now, I’m going to add the stems of each branches.
*to mik1190: thanks for the reference image!

Well, as a matter of fact, in the real world lemons often are green, and limes can be yellow. :yes: The difference is “FD&C Yellow #10.” :eek:

The “gloss” is a nice improvement to those leaves; it helps them to stand out better. There is a subtlety to the lighting and composition of this shot (it looks real, not like a supermarket). Keep working it.

If I were looking at a Polaroid of this shot in a studio (yeah, I’m dating myself …), I would do two things at this point:

• I’d bring a small gold reflector in front to give some fill-light and also a source of specularity. I’d consult my color-wheel to choose which color will work best against the yellows and greens. I want to bring-out the subject against the background (especially the light in the distance), and grab some of the texture of the surface of the fruit. I also, very-importantly, want to punch some light into those leaves, which currently have a murky dark-spot.
  • I’d get my ever-trusty spritzer bottle, which is filled with a mixture of water and a little glycerin, to provide a touch of specular highlights to the (now better-lit) fronts of the fruit and the tops and front-edges of the leaves.

I’d suggest working these in as a new render-layer, perhaps a separate render altogether, so that you can easily (and ex post facto) “tweak” the exact mix-down that you use here between these two visual elements. (I don’t know how much “compositing” is a factor in your present workflow.)

So it’s done!
You can download the .blend file with the latest improvements I did.

This the new render I did.
Thank you sundialsvc4 to write so long for me. So, I tried to follow your suggestions.
But I think that the colours are a bit saturated. I’ve added some droplets too.