BlenderGuru competition : Cavalry charge

This is a WIP thread for the competition “Ancient Civilization”, to post the evolution of my work and also to have feedbacks or advices from the community.

For this project, I am going to present a battle scene, the main subject is a rider and his horse galloping toward the enemy.

First I have to do the horse and the rider, and find the period of the scene, I am hesitating between WWI, Empire (Napoleon), and feudal age.
After that, I have to do the environnement, depending of the period.

The environement will be in brown and dark colors, the rider will contrast with more colorful teints.

Attachments

This is a second test for the horse :

Attachments

From a historical timeline the only “ancient” history you are looking at would be feudal but then that’s not even close either. We’re talking ancient as in ancient Egypt, etc.

I think that European Middle Ages could be ok ! Andrew talks about castles, so …

I really like how the shape of the horse is turning out! :slight_smile: Nice sculpting!

I also have horses in my image so I will have to attempt the same thing at some point x) I have a feeling it won’t turn out well…

I use the “Clay Strips” in the sculpt mode, it give a fibrous aspect to the muscles. First I exaggerate the volume, next I smooth the shapes :wink: :

Thanks for the tip! :smiley: Yeah, I will try. I am not really good at sculpting. Which is good, because now I have so much to learn from this! :slight_smile:

First colored test, pretty ugly, I don’t really know how to proceed :frowning:

I will apply some bump to try to have a realistic skin …

Hey, Nodhorf, I like what you are doing here. A nice horse sculpt. (Just a minor point is, that the neck is a bit long, but this is may be due to the perspective.)

When I stuck in some minor details I model or texture something else. Perhaps you can model something else also. You said that you are going to create a battle scene? The arrows in the saddle are talking of a fight already.

Wish you good luck in the competition!

Thank you Minoribus, the battle is really complicated to make, so I will make a post battle scene, the horse is alone ^^ I going to make the environment, with a lot of smoke, fog … But it’s difficult to render particles with cycles :frowning: … So I’m going to render some images with the Blender Internal and integrate them in the final render :slight_smile:

Nice job! cant wait to see the final result!

Started to add some veins with the bump, please tell me if it’s realistic or not (zoom a lot to see the details) :

It’s getting nice. Just a tip tho: don’t you think the neck is too long?

It´s not to long, it is the position of the camera, but I think I am going to “cut” a part of the neck ^^

Nice veins and good to see in the bigger image. Are you going to add some short fur? The horse is your main asset in the scene as far as I understood. What are your plans for the environment in the scene?

Keep up the good work :slight_smile: