Early Medieval Cannon, Low Poly

An early medieval cannon based on a History Channel show hosted by Mikes Loades, medieval historian and re-enactor. He fired a little cannon just like this. Looking for the video s that I can get it just right. Trying to post the face count, but I’m getting some scary message from Nvidia…Low - medium poly. Next gen I suppose is what the kids call it these days. Diffuse, normal and spec maps. Baked. These are real-time screens.

Edit: 562 faces. Turned the .blend2 into a .blend in a new folder, opened fine. Scary.

1 Like

I think that you need to tweak the materials a little here … there’s an “opaque shadow” at the front of the wooden beam, that makes it quite-literally impossible to visually distinguish the cast-iron object. Give the casting, and the straps, some leg-room … and maybe some specularity. At the moment, your very-good intentions are buried in what we old-school plastic-film guys would call "student murk."

I think there must be monitor issues at work here. I gave the rusty iron some, but not over much spec. Quite clear on my monitor. Not being defensive at all. It just isn’t murky at all on my computer or phone monitor.

Interessting object. Can you give a describtion how this works? How it is loaded and how fired? Is it based on Gunpowder?

I can’t find the video I saw on History Channel, or even a picture of it. But these pictures are the only other images I could find, and I looked for some time yesterday. I think it was muzzle loaded, gun powder based. My carriage, or base, is based on what I saw on the video.

Edit. Ok, in the bottom picture, you can see that the gunner is pouring powder into the hole at the top. I guess next he’ll insert a fuse, and light it up. Super simple cannon. I guess the arrows used a sabot to make them fit the barrel nicely.

A lighter image. The first few are a bit dark as noted.