Lukes Escape Trailer Official Release

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce that we have completed the trailer for Lukes Escape and have begun our Champaign on Indiegogo to raise funds to complete the full movie. It has been a long process of over a year of work but we are very happy with the result and can’t wait for you all to see what we have come up with.

We have had great people involved in this project, past and present, all contributing their time and skill to creat something to be proud of. We really hope we recieve support from the Blender community to continue this great project.

Please have a look at the trailer and visit the official website www.LukesEscape.com and also visit the Indiegogo Champaign at http://igg.me/at/lukesescape/x/3877034

Let us know what you guys think:P

perfect. want to see more

Nice, looks really good.

refreshing to see a film being made in blender that isn’t coming from the BF.

looks good,face of main character looks a lil creepy though,gives me the early dreamworks shrek kind of “trying to be cartoony and realistic at the same time” vibe.

still looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I’ve been looking forward to this for a while. Trailer looks great. Good luck with everything!

oh, and I’ll take this opportunity to thank you guys for the few ‘behind the scenes’ tutorials. Very informative.

I hope that the efforts we have made this group. Be rewarded with their support and can concuir this short film as we both want.

Thank you all so we can support.:smiley:

Very nice! The facial expressions are really believable. Thoroughly impressive, especially from a technical point of view. Even though personally, horror isn’t my thing, everyone can appreciate the artistic ability that went into this thing. Great work!

Dan

Amazing work!
well done, i really want to see much more :smiley:

Thanks Guys its really great to hear that you think we are on the right track. Remember if you would like to see more visit the champaign and donate a few bucks. Every penny counts and gets us a little closer to the finished film. It’s cool cause creating a thriller suspense animation is a completely new avenue for Blender. There is a lot of potiential here and we have learned so much over the last year, we cant wait to proceed with the full movie:P

This is going to be great for the community as well desides any additional development to Blender, Oliver from WWW.Blendtuts.com is a part of the team and planning to create a series of tut’s taken from our work done on Luke’s Escape which I think is awesome.

Please take a few minutes and check out the project website www.lukesescape.com and see a full list of all the artist involved and a little about each of them:)

Happy Blending and thanks for the support!

maybe the hair should move a little as he runs?

other than that it looks good.

The are some really good shorts been made these days with Blender, the trailer has me intrigued and I want to see more.

Thanks guys for your interest shown and comments. Input from everyone will help us make the film even better.

That was the intention but the lack of a proper hair collision system in Blender forced us to compromise. We had simulation on each shot but we had to disable it due to Luke’s hair intersecting with his head.

I hope we can achieve success with the funding so we can get a Blender developer on board to implement hair collisions.

We have looked into using surface forces but this doesn’t behave consistently natural enough and it involves a lot of micro management.

Blender’s toolset is on the brink of being feature complete for character animation production. Proper hair collision support is essential. One of my biggest goals for this project is to get hair collisions implemented in Blender.

Through this project I have learned a lot about character creation in Blender. Blender has some really excellent tools and has become my favorite tool for the creation of characters. My only gripes are texture painting and the lack of hair collision.

Great work. Awesome lighting!

TheEmptyRoom thanks for the info.

So is that Blender Internal Hair or Cycles Strand Render hair?

Cycles strand hair. We had some troubles with motion blur as it isn’t implemented for hair yet, not even vector motion blur. We had to find a work around. What we did was apply the hair to a separate hair cap mesh and parent that mesh to the head bone. This caused the hair to get the motion blur from that mesh’s transformation. It’s not accurate and won’t look right on longer styles.

Dewald above “aka TheEmptyRoom” has really been a huge asset to the team providing lots of development type solutions such as the motion blur issue he described above even creating a simplified python script solution for rendering the different layers. Thanks a lot Dewald!

Yay we’re featured on www.Blendernation.com special thanks to Bart for his support:P Work continues on preproduction. A few storyboard tweaks here and there. We hope to release some video “Dev Diaries” showcasing lots of pre-production work. Hopefully we’ll be on to 3D blocking and rough animation. It very important to remember that pre-production should not be rushed. Pre-production is the foundation of 3D animation and we all can imagine what would happen to a beautiful sky scraper with a junk foundation:)

We hope to share some of the story board, concept art and scene 3D blocking soon without giving the story away too much hehe:P Oliver from www.blendtuts.com will be working on some tutorials inspired from our work being done on Luke’s Escape so look for that on the horizon and of course check out our Indiegogo Champaign at http://igg.me/at/lukesescape/x/3877034

Happy Blending:)

Wow… fantastic trailer, caught my interest immediately. I’m really curious on how all this got started, and how you put together such a large team of people. Is the entire story already written, or is it an in-process thing?

Well, that is a long story :stuck_out_tongue: I will get Waqas to tell the story as he is the guy who started it all.

The story is mostly written but will go through a lot of development.