Game on OUYA

I don’t know how many times this has been asked- but seeing as there are now simple ways to find out via lurking I have to ask. I have a game made with the BGE. I need to move it to an OUYA(android). Is there good way to do this and how? I am aware of some options like bp for android but I can’t find it and I can’t find any compatibility list or source code. I’m aware of gamekit but haven’t the foggiest of it works or how to use it and implement it into my game. So again for this very exciting opportunity of putting a blender made game on a console how would- could that be done?

I would research getting your game onto Android first. OUYA’s main engines aren’t Blender. I reached out to the OUYA team a few months ago and they LOVED the idea of getting Blender to work on OUYA, but they needed the Blender folks to do it.

I would check into seeing if you can get blender player on an Android phone. Because if you can get BP there, then you can, in theory get BP on OUYA and your game as well. YOu WILL be required to use the ODK (Ouya Development Kit) as it’s not an Android store.

OUYA was rushed to the market a bit fast (as a Kickstarter) so now OUYA is running into all these indie devs wanting to use something other than Unity (for instance if you want to develop on Linux). I have been searching what the answer is and the only answer I have come close searching Blender on Android and then start work your way from there.

There is no easy answer as of yet.

I’ve got it it on my android tablet. I’ve ran two games on it. Touch’s register as mouse movement. Joystick actuator is non-responsive. All I need is the source for bp- to make things more compatible with the OUYA.

Ok. Now I have my ouya. I will be testing this out tomorrow.

Let us know how you fare. I tried a few months ago and was far from satisfied.
Mostly low performance and nasty visual defects. Same stuff ran nicely on an ancient 1.4 GHz single-core laptop.

You WILL be required to use the ODK (Ouya Development Kit) as it’s not an Android store.

OUYA was rushed to the market a bit fast (as a Kickstarter) so now OUYA is running into all these indie devs wanting to use something other than Unity (for instance if you want to develop on Linux). I have been searching what the answer is and the only answer I have come close searching Blender on Android and then start work your way from there.

Actually, you can develop apps for the OUYA without the ODK (and it all can be done on Linux). If you’re familiar with C/C++, you can compile the application with the arm-linux cross compiler (link). Once the binary is built, you can execute the binary by writing a Java wrapper apk (like this). Obviously, you many need the ODK for the Java wrapper, but you will only need to build the wrapper once on Windows (the rest of the development can be done on Linux if you prefer ;)).

Mostly low performance and nasty visual defects.

Same here. I also had performance issues when using the Blenderplayer on Ouya.

Same stuff ran nicely on an ancient 1.4 GHz single-core laptop.

To be fair, the Ouya uses the ARM architecture while your laptop probably uses x86_64 (which has a signification performance boost over ARM)

Still, I think the hardware should have been good enough.
If my memory serves correctly, we rebuilt in Irrlicht with vastly improved performance (previously 1-2 FPS), adding dynamic lighting and more rigid bodies.

Kind of curious to see what others have found. It very well could have been my own fault.

So Ouya is slow?

For clarification, this appears to be an issue with the Blenderplayer itself, not Ouya’s hardware.

I wouldn’t think the Ouya to be very slow at all. I did some research and it has a 4 - Core ARM9 (Apparently one of the higher performers) and an nVidia Tegra3 (Which also apparently has 4 cores, I’m not sure how that works for a GPU). Plus, most mobile phones, including iPhones, use ARM chips and you can play a lot of games on mobiles. Especially physics puzzle games, or even games like Infinity Blade.

But I definitely agree with C-106, the Blenderplayer needs to be optimised for OpenGL ES and just small android devices in general.

Any new updates on Blender games ported to android OS Like Ouya ?
(or other)

Ouya is pretty outdated, how about the recently announced Nexus Player/ android TV os?
It sounds pretty promising as cloud gaming is most likely going to be the future.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: superlip I’ll check it out.