Multi tile uv's

Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to work in blender with multi tile uv’s like mari.

Thx for your help :wink:

Ok, so It is possible, this is my little test.

I would like to know if a special node existe for that, where we just have to put maps in the good order or just the first map color_1001.tif for exemple and blender add automaticly the others maps in the good order.
In guerilla or vray, we just need to ad the first map and rename it like that “color_%d.tif” and that load all the other maps.

Mari work on 1 to 8 etc, like this picture.

I will be really great if blender could do this !

Thx for your help :wink:

1 Like

Ok, so, the next step !

I made the setup in a simple node to make it easy !

You can find the .blend here > https://www.dropbox.com/s/svw8aaogkfvs0ts/multimaps.blend

2 Likes

Did you know if it is possible to make a node to load a sequence of textures ?

Toto_1001.tiff, toto_1002.tif…

In OSL I Think.

I’m confused but intrigued at the same time. Sorry for my ignorance but what is the layman’s term purpose of this? Is it trying to replicate Ptex or something?

Cheers

It’s called UDIM and there’s no official support for it yet. I’ve been in talks with a couple of devs to have Blender support both input and ouput for the standard in the future, and Ton agreed that it was a good idea. There’s a lot that will need to change in Blender’s UV editor/painting tools for it to happen though, as with UDIM each [0,1] UV space can have its own resolution. Basically it’s an easy and standard way to have a model with multiple UV sets so that you can unwrap different areas to their own UV space and get the maximum pixel area without having separate objects.

1 Like

Good to know ! Just need to wait !

Yes it’s Udim textures !

Actually we can use it like I did, but I don’t know how to do this with the displace :frowning:

1 Like

Pitawazou, with your setup, is it possible to texture paint across multiple images like you would with Ptex or is this more of a concept only thing?

I don’t think it’s possible on Blender, but with Mary it’s made for it.

It was a good idea to use a checker nodes for multi UVs. Is there an alternate node setup for a multi tile UVs?

UDIM. Blender. Please. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

eerr Are Normal maps supported by Multi-UVs setup??

Yes, it work’s, except for the displace :frowning:

How did you setup ur Normals? I have two images mapped into my multiUV node> Normal Map node>Normal output of the diffuse

Here Max shows his workflow, and he also uses both normal and bump as well. Maybe this could help you with your approach.

1 Like

Yes, like this CPU.
Same as usueal normal.

in his tutorial, he only offsets the Y values, using the following UV spaces: [(0,0)(1,1)],[(0,1)(1,2)],[…], basically adding more rows to the same column (thus creating a “tower” of UV spaces),
is it possible to offset X values as well? (adding columns too?). like using [(1,0)(2,1)] space as well?

in his tutorial, max only offsets the Y values, using the following UV spaces: [(0,0)(1,1)],[(0,1)(1,2)],[…], basically adding more rows to the same column (thus creating a “tower” of UV spaces),
is it possible to offset X values as well? (adding columns too?). like using [(1,0)(2,1)] space as well? when I try offsetting the X axis I’m getting unexpected results.

I’m adding an example of my UV layout and my nodes. it looks messy, but it actually makes sense. the nodes are organized like the UDIM space.

1 Like

Yes, you can use the space as long as you set your mapping to match the offset

Yes, it’s possible, maybe not with your setup (I didn’t try it) but months ago i did it even in BI, basically by giving a different material to each tile and a different blank texture to each material. You can even use different resolution images for the different materials. Then you go in paint mode and start to paint on the model (or on the blank texture in the proper UV window).