Finishing a big(er) project in Blender, here are my findings/bug reports

Posting here so I can get confirmation before posting to bug tracker.

Bugs/weird behavior:

B1 - Dynamic paint over a Remesh modifier evaluates remesh every frame (even if nothing is animated on target object)
B2 - Multiple selection of parented items shows only active/latest in the meshes indicator
B3 - Fluid particles dont use baked fluid offset frames
B4 - Boolean op messes up material assigments, and vertex numbers (should only affect touched/added vertices)
B5 - Viewport openGL preview if set to only Render doesn’t have any indication on progress
B6 - Clicking in the frame number field even if not changing frame, reevelautes everything
B7 - UV sculpt getting stuck on object change (enable UV sculpt, change object, UV image editor changes to render result, UV sculpt brush still active)
B8 - UV project doesn’t quite work with ortographic cameras
B9 - If you press space while rendering and then cancel out of the search dialog by ESC, it stops the rendering also
B10 - Pausing a viewport render and then switching applications and unpausing (clicking the button) without switching to Blender first can produce a neverending loop until you switch viewport mode via a hotkey for example (OSX Mountain lion)

Some suggestions that stem from problems with the project:

S1 - Remesh should interpolate UV, maybe use internaly the transfer attribute functions planed for 2.68
S2 - Refresh local mode like refresh isolated in Softimage would be welcome
S3 - border render F12 renders the selection then after rendering shows in context, would be welcome to keep zoom/interest point consistent
S4 - setting the render border in UV/Image editor, since switching to 3D view is cubersome
S5 - zoom indication on UV/Image editor for checking renders on multiplies of 2
S6 - Would be nice if “active element” also worked with bones
S7 - Maybe snapping should work with 3d cursor too (also dragging)

For the bugs, the first thing I would do is grab the latest build from the buildbot and try to reproduce them, there’s been a lot of bugs fixed since the 2.67 release and some of them might not be there anymore.

Pretty sure the entire modifier stack gets evaluated on every frame change event even if it doesn’t really ‘need to’.

B2 - Multiple selection of parented items shows only active/latest in the meshes indicator

Probably the difference between the active object and selected objects – there is a difference BTW.

B6 - Clicking in the frame number field even if not changing frame, reevelautes everything

Don’t recall ever seeing any code that checks to see if the current value == old value before sending off an update event – just the way blender does things. Be nice if it did but I (and others) still occasionally find properties that are completely missing an update event so this area is still somewhat of a WIP.

B9 - If you press space while rendering and then cancel out of the search dialog by ESC, it stops the rendering also

That sounds like a valid bug, the spacebar menu should trap the keypress so the ‘stop render’ operator doesn’t get called.

B10 - Pausing a viewport render and then switching applications and unpausing (clicking the button) without switching to Blender first can produce a neverending loop until you switch viewport mode via a hotkey for example (OSX Mountain lion)

Probably also a bug (I say without even trying to reproduce the problem).

S7 - Maybe snapping should work with 3d cursor too (also dragging)

I thought there was already a ‘snap to cursor’ in the snap menu?

There’s a useful addon that does exactly that.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/3D_interaction/Enhanced_3D_Cursor

I do also, however, think that type of functionality ought to be standard. The 3d cursor is great and all, but its usefulness could be much improved with standard snapping.

Yea the 3D Cursor really should have built in snapping, like clicking on a surface should snap it to the depth of that surface not some point far behind it on the grid.