Cigars scene

Howdy. Scene was rendered in Octane, and im not quite happy with it. was going for a realisitc look approach but i think i didn’t quite manage that. Maybe the lighting is not right, though it is the way i wanted it. the zippo could use some more work, mainly in texturing. I don’t quite like the lamp at all aswell. Also thinking about adding probably an asthray model to the right bottom of the image maybe. The image had no pos-production, all textures from cgtextures, cigars texutres were created in gimp.

So, critiques…

Attachments

Well apparently i attached another file and don’t know how to edit it out. Might aswell comment on it aswell. It was rendered in cycles and its an old room. was trying to capture an eerie feeling. The bed tecture looks too plastic and doesn’t resemble wood at all. the cross could be bigger and more detailed…other then that, your views and cririques would be welcomed.

kohg maybe a little less saturation on the first render and a little more saturation on the second one also incorporate more dramatic shadowing with position of the lights it will add more depth…

Cool scene there with the cigars. As a wood nerd I focused a lot on box, and I must say I like the texture overall, good bumping and good gloss, however, in the Rebate (the groove) you should have some end grain, if you could sort that out the box would be 100 times more realistic. The same goes for the lid itself where the end grain should to be.

The next step to get a more realistic box is the construction of the box. The corners is not jointed in the box of yours, make a small gap and let it create a shadow (basically a black line) to show the miter and the box will be more realistic.

Now the box will look very good, however, there is more, if you still are reading :stuck_out_tongue:
So I will give you an another proposal that I would do for this scene and that is to reenforce the miter joints, Right, when two surfaces of end grain is glued together you get a really weak joint, I mean super weak and it will break directly when the wood starts swelling, for a joint with this think material that are used in this box, corner biscuits are a popular chose. Like THIS and are often made by an another type of wood to get some contrast. By adding this you will have a good and strong looking piece of woodworking that is believable.

This can be a lot to take in, but I liked you scene and I wanted to give you some facts to improve that nice box of yours, if not used in this render, you can think about it in the future in similar projects.

However, Good work!

Thanks for the critiques folks. Thats alot to take in there Cramer, i’m afraid you went a little bit too technical on me there, but i’ll make sure to re-read it a few more times and use your advice when i get back to this project.

cheers

I know it is. Just let me know if you have any question about it.

I would second the box needs more detailed texture work. But what really jumps out at me is that the cigars are shiny, you should turn the roughness on the glossy shader up quite a bit. And considering they are the focal piece I would recommend a different texture something more detailed.

What I have found to be best with cigars is to make an edge loop that winds down the cigar and use it as a uv seam, then when you apply the texture it gives the proper look of a rolled cigar.