hey guys! this is the mecha tank from Avatar: Legend of Korra. it has the highest vertex count of any single character i’ve ever made (87000 without subsurfs). it felt great to make a model without worrying too much about vert count or organic deformation or shapekeys. it was really fun :smiley:

it also marks my 1st ever python coding. yeah :slight_smile: i made a rig panel
but most of all, i got to play with lots of constraints.

however, as usual my render isnt great :frowning:
ah, did i mention, every single mesh in the model is uv unwrapped. for no good reason of course :smiley: i just wanted to get in the habit of doing so. when i finally learn how to paint, this model will be a good practice dummy

Your problem is you don’t know how to do a decent light setup, I have been looking at your previous works, your modeling is ok, the material setup is decent, but the light setup is crap, see this tutorial http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/mastering-lighting/ to learn how to do an appropriated light setup.

it just doesnt come naturally! i got the hang of modeling very quickly…rigging, animation, etc also just came naturally.

lighting, cameras, and texturing however are the most frustrating things i’v ever come across! i’v read dozens of articles and tutorials on them, but they still elude me.
i’m making progress, but very slowly :frowning:
thanks for the link :slight_smile:

I also read somewhere that an artist should always avoid fully black color tones (same goes for white). Those colors take some detail away. So maybe try a brighter background.
Check out some basic lighting techniques that are also used for photography and film. Just by taking up the basic rules, your image will improve.
I guess it is all combined in the BlenderGuru tutorial Dr. Caballo mentioned. Check it out, it’s good.

thanks for pointing that out. looking at my previous renders now, yeah most of them seem to have pure blacks or whites

i decided to visit this model again, and hopefully this time i’ll do a bit more justice to it

Lighting looks allready much better.

thanks…
although i’m unhappy with the way it appears on BA. it looks much better on deviantart

a few more shots. this model takes so long to render (about an hour) :frowning: it stretches my patience