Realtime AO With No Filter

Tell Me What You Think Of This Techinque

NO FILTER AT ALL!!
WASD:Move monkey (Global)
Cool? Awesome? Impossible? How?
Is Very Very Simple, Okey,Basicly AO Is A Shadow Based Distance Between Objects
How To Make This

So I Try To Add A White Point Light Then I Activate Negative,So Its Shade Object Near It Black,And I Move It Near A Plane,And I Notice That The Closer The Light the Darker The Plane Shaded
And That The Exact Bahavior Of AO…
Just Add A Negative Point Light,Parent It To An Object,move it at edges that mostly touches the ground(Just Ask That Monkey Over There),and then play

The AO Is Not Very Perfect,Sometimes it gets too dark,but you can fix it by a little bit tweaking the light

(sorry For My Bad English)

Download:
Blend Swap : http://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/68966
Attachment: REALTIME_AO_BGE.blend (776 KB)

I think there could be some interesting way to use negative lights, though I haven’t found any myself yet. Good job. :slight_smile:

haha, Thank You, :slight_smile:

So negative Lights finally work in BGE! I hadn’t even known, thank you very much! : D
The Method is indeed an interesting one, however I’d keep some Scepticism whether adding at Least one Light to every Object would serve the Performance better than a Filter, at Least in Cases with many Objects in a Scene. However, since SSAO Filters are some of the slowest I know, at least for smaller Scenes with just a few Objects it is surely a good Way to go. :}

Great Idea, thank you very much.

thank you, by adding only one light should give you much more performance, but i recommend you to use at least 4 light for a cube for better AO,But its depending on how your object shape is,for example, A “Monkey”,If We Add A Physics To The Monkey,When The Mokey Is Moving Close To A Wall,The Part Of The Monkey That Mostly hit the wall surface Should Hav A Negative Light For example: Mouth,left&right ears,upper part of head&under the head.And You need to place the lamp slightly into the inner part of the mesh,and dont place it out side,otherwise your AO Will look like a tiny dots…

Hehe,I am getting ready to upload my own technique…

I suspect that this won’t scale as well for large numbers of objects, as each light requires the scene to be drawn again (once or twice I forget), whilst filters only once of my memory serves me. It just means that there is an intersection point between the two gradients (of objects to time)

hmmm…you’re making me curious :confused:
what is your thecnique

hmmm…you’re making me curious :confused:
what is your thecnique