The Ruins

Hello guys! I have been working on this for almost a month now, and it’s completely ready! Done 100% in Blender!

So! Here are some of my computer specks:

Intel core i3
GeForce GT 520 @3.10 GHZ
5.98 GB of Ram
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
memory used: 194 GB/916 GB

I had to render this with mu CPU because my GPU ran our of VRAM. And I guess I will use my CPU to render everything for now on, because I realized that my GPU is even slower than my CPU.

So here it is!

The idea is very lovely, and overally I like the image.

But there are some things that bug me. The deformation of the buildings is a bit non-realistic. It looks acceptable (for me) on the building that is further away. But the front one could use some altering. The BIG propeller (turbine or something like that) drowns in grey color, i think it should have some light in front, to help define all the edges of those details in the middle. Not sure about the grass but it seems (?) fine.

This is entirely my opinion. As I said, I like the overall image, very nice, keep up the good work!

Congratulations on your work. Now, the ruins, the future, which one is it? The engine turbines are massive when compared to the buildings. Other than that, and the text, i like it.

But those buildings bend like that are really non realistic and wierd, gives a dream feel to the scene, dunno if that’s what you were after.

Agree about the buildings, you’d think they would’ve fractured more as they deteriorated rather than just bend and warp while staying in one piece.

Also, you’d think there might’ve been some chunks of concrete where a road used to be as well, because right now it looks like the foreground building was just built in a field with grass to the doors.

On a final note, the image is supposed to take place on a cloudy day, but the glass dust that is floating in the image and the mist almost gives an underwater feel.

The other aspects including the idea aren’t bad though and this image could really become something with a little more work…

For downfall61: I don’t know about the grass, but you’re right about the building and the turbine that I tried to fix in the compositor since I had complex mist in the scene.

One more thing - if you consider a rework of this, maybe pay some attention to those particles coming out of the building. I understand that you try to show how the turbine shot through the building and all the glass exploded, but the particles look a bit too calm and tight (like a little happy waterfall). I’d suggest making them a bit more random and spread, so viewers could feel the explosivity more.

But again, this is entirely my opinion. I believe you can easily make some tweaks based on these responses. You can make this image awesome! (right now its pretty good :slight_smile: )

I’m afraid it is a little happy waterfall. :slight_smile:

Okay hopefully this is a little better, except for the building close to us:o

I like the overall composition and theme of your image. I’m a sucker for futuristic scenes like these, and I think you got that aspect down. However there are two major things that are letting the image down a bit. The first is a focal point. When I look at the image, my eyes are drawn to the airplane turbine, then to the broken/collapsing building. That would be ok if the building was a bit more interesting to look at, but because there’s not much detail on either the turbine or building, iv lost interest right away. I liked the building in the first image a little better as well, this one doesn’t seem architecturally correct. Maybe adding some support beams through the corners of the building and adding some sky reflection might look more interesting visually. The second thing I feel this is lacking is depth. The image looks 3d, but just a little flat. That is most likely due to the fact that the camera is viewing the building almost straight on, which takes away the perspective and throws the image off a bit. I think maybe changing the angle or position of the camera to be lower and more looking up at the building would improve the render quite a bit, IMO. You might think about moving this to the focused critique page on the forum, Just to get a few more opinions because I know everything I said not everyone would agree with.

Well, I know I critiqued you pretty hard, but I critique the way I would want to be critiqued on something I’v done, so there you go. Anyway your doing a great job so far, and I don’t want to take away from all the work you’ve already put into this. Nice work and looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future(no pun intended:confused:).

oh almost forgot… Your custom font looks great :slight_smile:

Thanks! And me too, I love critiques! :slight_smile:

The front building looks a bit more fractured now, but right now resembles a hollow shell (as if the builders decided to just construct a hollow box that looks like a building).

What could be done now is add a sort of interior structure that is also crumbling with the building.

Also, the addition of a little more contrast also wouldn’t hurt, as this would help with the ‘depth’ issue that Fpsgod pointed out.