GSOC 2013 MOARZ texpaint stuffs

Time to open up an official thread on the paint GSOC.

So, first, what’s on the list:

• Curve driven strokes
  • Gradient, Bucket fill, Colour palettes possibly along with some image space selection mechanism
  • Area mapping, Anchored strokes.
  • Streamlined workflow for setting up image painting.
  • Symmetrical painting, improvements to the underlying system, bug fixing.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Psy-Fi/Moar_Texture_Paint

I will post progress on this thread as features are added. Also I hope that through the discussion some interesting things might come up. An extra todo that came up is, for example cavity based painting.

Ahhh can’t wait for it!

Very interesting project, lots of very usefull additions for the texture painting.
Good luck for it !

For a moment I read MOZART.
Go Antony, go for it.
(there’s always the multires modifier, out there. LOL)

On this subject, are you planning on adding the “center view on last stroke” function from sculpt mode? I haven’t seen it mentioned in any of the info so far. It’s a really handy feature when painting on small areas like adding facial markings.

Is adding a topological masking a possibility? like dabbing a tip of the finger that it only paints that one finger and not one next to it?Would be useful for sculpting also.

Can a Mod please make these GSOC threads as temporary sticky threads so they don’t get missed? (in General Forums)

They tend to get buried and forgotten. I think it would be great to keep these front and center, this would be great as a showcase and also provide developers with needed feedback/testing.

All these sound super nice.

But for the love of monkeys, please also a line tool.

Line == Curve with two control points

I didn’t realised that, sounds even more awesome.

Haha, yes, I read the description and figured it included line in there.

With the image selection for active, are you looking at the Texture Layers Addon for functionality? This addon only works with Blender render, but it is a good example of selecting which image to paint to and setting viewport display.

Also, with the curve and mask implementation, you mean to allow 3d curve objects to be used in viewport similar to the Stencil paint function, or some more fluid awesomeness than that? This is going to be exciting :smiley:

how about vpaint?

You should already be able to do that with a stencil texture (added in 2.67). See the vertex paint section.

Yes, can’t say enough how awesome and extremely usefull the Stencil function Psy-Fi implemented in blender 2.67 can be, everything about the vpaint old video i dreamed to have in Blender is there.

oh wow… i didnt notice that before! will have to try it out…

has anyone made any tuts using the new blender stencil?

cough paint layers cough :stuck_out_tongue:

hey psy-fi can you talk a lil more about this potential cavity thingy? I though it was more of a node/shader thing,than texture paint…

Cavity painting would be AMAZING! AS will all the other additions to the system.

Are there any plans to increase overall performance? Painting on, say, a 4k or 8k map can be pure pain on the current system.

As part of my changes for “streamlined workflow for setting up image painting”, please read http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2013-June/040885.html

I’d like to know people’s opinions too (maybe even reply on the list?)

one thing that could speed up texture painting on arbitrarily big images is to look at how mari is doing it. In there you don’t actually paint on the object itself but on an image buffer which overlays the model. You can even specify the resolution of this image buffer.
This way no matter how big your texture is you’ll always just paint on an image your system can handle interactively. Once you’re satisfied with the painting you hit a shortcut to bake that overlay buffer down to the texture.
Afaik this is what makes it possible in mari to paint easily on multimillion poly models and huge textures.

The downside is that this would introduce another operation the user would have to manually trigger and that the whole viewport painting would need to be changed to a deferred shading pipeline to allow the overlay buffer to be considered in the lighting for e.g. specular and bumpmap painting.