The happy an open NPR sketchbook

The idea of this sketchbook is to create a home for all the Non-Photorealistic renders out there.

This style is a very exciting yet is somewhat underused (or at least under represented on this site).

Hopefully by sharing our NPR sketches we can provide ideas for ourselves and others that are collated in one easy to find place.

Feel free to add any NPR render.

Happy Blending:)

Attachments

Here are a couple of mine to get us started.

Attachments

Welcome monkmonk
Excellent, simply amazing.

This will be fun to watch, I like all of them so far. Go NPR! :slight_smile:

Very cool indeed! :smiley:

Really a great idea! I absolutely love the newly added Freestyle and have already seen some great NPR renders on the forum. Good to have a dedicated sketchbook for that!

Your 3 NPR renders are really wonderfull, MonkMonk. Great feel and atmosphere to it.
Love to see more, and hopefully I’ll post some myself one day (give me a bit more time… just starting :wink:

Thanks guys, hopefully some other people will add stuff soon.

Lepelaar. I look forward to seeing your work!

wow!:eek:
Your “Coming From the Mill” WIP thread is one of my favorite!

Did not realise there was a WIP-thread! Thanks for pointing that out filou.rod!
That thread is not only eye-candy, but very informative and inspiring as well. You have a new fan MonkMonk :wink:
Oh, if I only had more time to blender… so much things I’d like to try out.

Filou.rod and lepelaar. Thank you so much for the kind words. They are very encouraging:)

subzerozebra: thank you for sharing this great piece!

Here’s my two cents of NPR goodness, courtesy of Cycles’ new toon shader node:

This is a sketchbook though.
A BA sketchbook, not a zbrushforum sketchbook.
I suggest you to clean the mess and start your own sketchbooks.
BA is a rather complicated forum. However, there’re lot of other topics for posting your tests or WIPs, or your finished works.
Sketchbook in BA means something else IMRO (InMyRidiculousOpinion)

@MonkMonk
Have you tried the new toon shader implementation in Cycles?

@JuanJose: A elegant and clean design. Nice one.

@Michalis: I must confess, i didn’t know there was one. I’m not one to use test builds and i’ve been busy on my photo-realism Enigma project recently. Thanks for pointing it out, i’ll check it out now:)

[off topic - did i miss something? zbrushforum sketchbook?]

@MonkMonk
and other friends, please don’t misunderstand me. It’s not an offense. Just proposing to keep sketchbooks clean.
(zbrush has not a sketchbook topic. It has one only, a personal work topic. That simple. Other topics there are for support or for tutorials mostly.
Much simpler and possibly better.)
Always staying tuned on your enigma concept. Photorealistic you say, but we may see an NPR coming from this.

Oh, i see.

Perhaps if there is a better place for this a Mod could move it. I just thought it would be nice to build up a collection of NPR renders in one thread.

No offence taken :slight_smile:

I’m the one who misunderstood after all. Just read the entry comments.
Have fun, apologies.

So is this still a collaborative thread or not? :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it is, sorry, once again.
Two tests using cycles toon shader.

Another one, this by using freestyle, but it also is based on the UVs+displ thread techniques. In this case, no displacements, just a UV map baked via freestyle and AO, combined in Gimp. Trying a JackKirby style.

No problem. :slight_smile:

I had seen your cool renders in your UV displacement thread. Inspiring stuff there.

Here is some more dabbling on my part with Cycles toon shader:

Cool idea MonkMonk. Here is my first NPR render:

And here is a joke for my 4 year old son with his favourite character from the Octonauts TV program (“Tweak” is also a rabbit you see).