My first (paid) blender project: promo video

https://vimeo.com/67137915

Lots of firsts for me, in this video: my first project in Blender, my first go at character animation…

Moving from a PC to a Mac meant leaving my beloved 3D Studio Max behind, so I thought I’d have another look at Blender before springing the big bucks for Maya.

I’ve been using Blender for about 3 months now - 2 of them spent doing the animation above - and not a day goes by without me being astounded once again by how mature and robust Blender is. I struggled with (and pretty much gave up on) character animation in 3DS Max, but thanks to the wealth of tutorial videos for Blender I seem to have picked up the basics pretty fast.

Quite a phenomenon, Blender. I hope to repay the debt - a t-shirt and a DVD for now, and hopefully a useful plugin or two when I get my coding chops up to strength. Thank you for making me feel so welcome, Blender community!

Very polished and professional. Always good to see work of this caliber. I look forward to seeing more.

really good, just the “bigger customer”'s arm goes into his body when he puts his hand on his hip. only the first time though.

I liked everything about this ad… The way you approached the storytelling aspect of this was very creative. It had a complex message to get across to the viewer, and I think you accomplished that for sure. I thought the music used was very appropriate and worked well. Just a couple of curiousity questions…

Did the client provide you the script and voiceover, or did you have do that part too?
Was Freestyle used on this project?

No doubt it was a lot of work, but you should be proud with how it turned out.

Thanks for the compliments :slight_smile: Can’t help but see all the rough edges now, but the client’s happy with it, which is what counts.

And boy, have I learnt a lot about Blender… only scratching the surface of what can be done, but it’s very exciting.

@harleynut97 - Nope, I got to write the script and do the VO myself. Always better to be able to have an input from the beginning of a project, before any scripting has happened. Don’t always get the opportunity, of course :slight_smile:

Nope, I got to write the script and do the VO myself

Well you got good vocal chops as well. I’m glad to hear your client was happy with everything.